Rear hubs and bearings question 30/31

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Tim Mc.

Rear hubs and bearings question 30/31

Post by Tim Mc. »

I took the rear hubs of a early 30 AA (bevel gear) Sunday and have a question.... One rear bearing came out in pieces (typical...) and the other appears to be fine. What concerns me is that both the rear hubs have what appears to be a race in the hub for the bearing to ride in.

I haven't taken the hubs off of a later axle before and this concerns me. It almost reminds me of the hub repair races that are available for the A's that have a slightly undersize rear bearing.

Are these type races an original part? It would make sense on a heavy truck to have a replaceable race, but before we go spending big $$ on new bearings that won't fit I"d rather make sure. Incidentally, the rear grease seal was pressed into the 'race' and fit fine.

Hope someone can help out!

Tim Mc Cormack
Bradshaw
Body Type: 82A Cab 89A Express
Model Year: 1929

Early 30 Rear

Post by Bradshaw »

Tim,

I just finished going through the same Early 30 bevel rear axle. Mine has the same type races. The bearings were in good shape and I used new seals that were a good tight fit.

Not sure if these races are an original part, but at least there are 2 that you know of that are the same.

Bradshaw
mikeg
Site Admin
Body Type: 150B
Model Year: 1930

Re: Rear hubs and bearings question 30/31

Post by mikeg »

Hi Tim,

if you are referring to the wheel hub, the earlier hubs had a pressed and pinned race for the bearing, later model hubs (the ones that are so hard to come by) do not have this arrangement.

In one of my axles the bearings were either one piece, or two, it seems these days you can only get the shorter bearings so you have to install 2 of them per side.

I might have some pictures of the inside of the early and late model hubs showing the race changes, check out my website picture gallery, if they are not there I'll take some this week and post them here.

Tim Mc. wrote:I took the rear hubs of a early 30 AA (bevel gear) Sunday and have a question.... One rear bearing came out in pieces (typical...) and the other appears to be fine. What concerns me is that both the rear hubs have what appears to be a race in the hub for the bearing to ride in.

I haven't taken the hubs off of a later axle before and this concerns me. It almost reminds me of the hub repair races that are available for the A's that have a slightly undersize rear bearing.

Are these type races an original part? It would make sense on a heavy truck to have a replaceable race, but before we go spending big $$ on new bearings that won't fit I"d rather make sure. Incidentally, the rear grease seal was pressed into the 'race' and fit fine.

Hope someone can help out!

Tim Mc Cormack
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Rear Hub Sleeves

Post by Neil Wilson »

Part AA-1236-C is the rear hub sleeve for the 31/31 AAs. Rear hubs without sleeves started production in mid 31 (see July-August Service Bulletin)
Regards, Neil Wilson

what are you calling 'early' 1930?

Post by manyolkars »

our 1930 is a February 1930 and does not have a worm gear. our serial is about 2,900,000 Bruce