Re: 28 AA brake adjust advice

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

Post by birdacre »

can't seem to get any pedal pressure. goes right to floor and truck glides to a weak stop. set up each wheel as directed? wheel locks up when jacked up when brake is put on. however under a load, on the road, no real resistance. adjusters can't be tightened anymore without excessive drag. rods were set up for 15 degree arch back. should i shorter rods even if lock up is past 90 degrees slightly. OR invest in all new wedges, adjusters etc. shoes are making contact on drums, just not under good pressure. any ideas???? thank you in advance. kevin
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

15 deg. FORWARD !!
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

i meant the rears are 15 degrees back, the fronts are 15 degrees forward. sound accurate? thank you, kevin
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

Also check length of ' actuator ' rod. should be 7 and 1/4" ... Grind to length if too long, and " pill" ( shim) if too short. 1 and 5/16" from where rollers ride to pins where lower springs hook on.

Also are break linings glazed over? If glazed they will not grip..

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

birdacre wrote:
November 26th, 2017, 4:12 pm
i meant the rears are 15 degrees back, the fronts are 15 degrees forward. sound accurate? thank you, kevin
yes. frt. forward. Put the drums on. and they should lock when straight up. If not you got actuator issues. Remember to adjust the sq. adjuster on the back until the drum just drags. Get this all set to lock when straight up then adjust the rod that pulls it to zero slop.

Let me know how it goes. Just re-arched my frts. this past week..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

Did you have the pads arched to match each drum?
Woven linings need to be used with steel drums and composite pads with cast iron drums.
Sounds like you have the arms adjusted correctly at 15 degrees. Do not shorten brake rods to pull them past center. You will loose braking power doing that.
To me it sounds like your brake pads are not making full contact. Try rubbing chalk on your pads, apply the brakes and see what the wear pattern is.
Are your roller tracks worn? If worn you need to weld them up and file so they are perfectly straight/flat. Are your rollers worn flat in places?
------------
Dave
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

Arching breaks: I just did my fronts. Did it with a 1-1/2" sanding drum from 'Menards' mounted in the drill press. Took a plate of steel, mounted to the table on sq. tubes so it slides, with a 1/4 inch bolt to adjust it to correct distance from pivot point ( 5/16" dowel pin) to sanding drum. Measure drum dia. divide by two, Add half dia. of pivot pin.. Mount linings to a block that pivots on first plate. I used a test part to get proper dia. , Swing linings past sanding drum to size. Check fit to drums and ready to go. Mount on car, check centering and assemble and adjust.

questions? just ask..

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

Arching breaks: I just did my fronts. Did it with a 1-1/2" sanding drum from 'Menards' mounted in the drill press. Took a plate of steel, mounted to the table on sq. tubes so it slides, with a 1/4 inch bolt to adjust it to correct distance from pivot point ( 5/16" dowel pin) to sanding drum. Measure drum dia. divide by two, Add half dia. of pivot pin.. Mount linings to a block that pivots on first plate. I used a test part to get proper dia. , Swing linings past sanding drum to size. Check fit to drums and ready to go. Mount on car, check centering and assemble and adjust.

questions? just ask..

KVO

Phew... sounds like a lot of work. Me I'm spoiled, my brother runs the machine shop at a clutch and brake business. I just take it to him. :)
------------
Dave
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

jacked up wheel today and adjusted brakes until slight drag. pull lever while spinning wheel and locks right up tight. if i put a pair of vise grips on adjuster and wiggle it while it is locked it breaks loose. what PART IS FAILING HERE? every part was cleaned, greased and reassembled. i know wear can not be obvious always. ANY DEFINITIVE IDEAS WITH THIS SYMPTOM?
emf
Body Type: Firetruck

Post by emf »

Is it possible that the hole where the adjuster goes through is egg shaped? Need to bush the hole???

Frank
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

birdacre wrote:
November 27th, 2017, 2:43 pm
jacked up wheel today and adjusted brakes until slight drag. pull lever while spinning wheel and locks right up tight. if i put a pair of vise grips on adjuster and wiggle it while it is locked it breaks loose. what PART IS FAILING HERE? every part was cleaned, greased and reassembled. i know wear can not be obvious always. ANY DEFINITIVE IDEAS WITH THIS SYMPTOM?
sounds like the fit between the adjuster and the hole it threads into is sloppy. May need a new adjuster and or Helicoil in hole.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA