wiggle adjuster and wheel breaks loose?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

wiggle adjuster and wheel breaks loose?

Post by birdacre »

Re: 28 AA brake adjust advice

Post Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:43 pm
jacked up wheel today, rod disconnected, and adjusted brakes until slight drag. pull lever while spinning wheel and locks right up tight. if i put a pair of vise grips on adjuster and wiggle it while it is locked it breaks loose. what PART IS FAILING HERE? every part was cleaned, greased and reassembled. i know wear can not be obvious always. ANY DEFINITIVE IDEAS WITH THIS SYMPTOM?
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Re: wiggle adjuster and wheel breaks loose?

Post by KimVanOrder »

birdacre wrote:
November 27th, 2017, 3:03 pm
Re: 28 AA brake adjust advice

Post Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:43 pm
jacked up wheel today, rod disconnected, and adjusted brakes until slight drag. pull lever while spinning wheel and locks right up tight. if i put a pair of vise grips on adjuster and wiggle it while it is locked it breaks loose. what PART IS FAILING HERE? every part was cleaned, greased and reassembled. i know wear can not be obvious always. ANY DEFINITIVE IDEAS WITH THIS SYMPTOM?
sounds like the fit between the adjuster and the hole it threads into is sloppy. May need a new adjuster and or Helicoil in hole.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

You may not have the brake adjusting shaft seated all the way in the groove on the brake adjusting wedge
and the slightest movement lets it drop in the groove, backing the adjustment off.

Bob
birdacre
Body Type: AA express

Post by birdacre »

i think you might have something. i will take a close look, thank you, hey... how deep is the groove? thank you, kevin
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

Here's a picture.

Bob
Attachments
wedge.jpeg
wedge.jpeg (80.57 KiB) Viewed 3035 times