radiator cap removal

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
wild4679
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

radiator cap removal

Post by wild4679 »

This may be the most rookie question of the month, but I can't figure out how to remove this radiator cap. The goal is to remove the radiator shell for restoration/painting. Is this radiator cap soldered on the neck of the radiator tank, or is it threaded? I'm hesitant to put a wrench on it. Looking inside the cap, those two internal ears have what might have been allen screws inside, but I can't get any size of allen wrench to bite.

Radiator cap 2.jpg
Radiator cap 2.jpg (92.68 KiB) Viewed 4235 times
Radiator cap 1.jpg
Radiator cap 1.jpg (79.9 KiB) Viewed 4235 times
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

Re: radiator cap removal

Post by birdacre »

that must be some accessory so the cap can't be lost. is that a hinge on the back? it must be threaded on, just like a regular cap. i would soak some oil in first and then turn it. most likey different types of metal and not rusted together. i have never seen this style. what holds the cap closed. it looks like it could not turn if there is indeed a hinge on the back. hope this helps. kevin in ct.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express

Post by birdacre »

maybe even a early pressure type cap?
flatford39
Body Type: Express

Post by flatford39 »

Looks like the quail is missing. Look behind it under the hinge. There may be a set screw there that you need to loosen then twist it off. It should just a bayonet type cap as it looks like your truck is a 31 by the emblem.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

That was a quail radiator cap at one time. Open the cap and there should be two allen head screws that you need to loosen
to take the cap off. See the link. http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/Conte ... -10295.pdf
quail.jpeg
quail.jpeg (61.27 KiB) Viewed 4214 times
Bob
wild4679
Body Type: 82B

Post by wild4679 »

thanks everyone for offering advice. Bob C had the answer with the internal allen head screws. My original post stated an allen wrench didn't fit, but I used a larger size and got it to bite, but the screws wouldn't turn until the casting in the cap broke on one side. In the end, I twisted the cap just like you would any other radiator cap and it came off in 1/4 turn. Those internal allen screws each held a flange that "bit" the radiator neck to hold it in place.