Front radius rods question

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
pinesdune
Model Year: 1930

Front radius rods question

Post by pinesdune »

There’s no difference in the 1928 AA radius rods or front axel between an A and an AA right? Just the spindles are different between the two models. And next question, tho I’m pretty sure i know the answer, the radius rods are supposed to be straight , not bent Image thanks in advance
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: Front radius rods question

Post by 1crosscut »

Ouch. Yes I believe that they are the same. With damage like that I would be looking really hard at the axle to make sure it is straight.
------------
Dave
pinesdune

Post by pinesdune »

1crosscut wrote:Ouch. Yes I believe that they are the same. With damage like that I would be looking really hard at the axle to make sure it is straight.
The axels bent beyond repair, and the spring perches are wore out, I am at the point of just getting the whole axel assembly off my parts truck and starting to rebuild it instead of this one

Rust and glory
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

I think scrapping it is a good plan. Lots of good axles and radius rods available.
Last edited by 1crosscut on December 14th, 2017, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------
Dave
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

yes 28/29 AA is same axle and wishbone as A. Perches are different only in the shock ball height so you can use new made ones or car ones if you dont plan to ever run shocks...

yes that axle got smacked hard to bend the wishbone like that. Id look for another A or AA complete axle.
s147881
Body Type: stake bed 82A

Post by s147881 »

I have several wishbone and axles if you are in need of a replacement
pinesdune

Post by pinesdune »

s147881 wrote:I have several wishbone and axles if you are in need of a replacement
Thanks for the offer, but I should have a spare in the back, I’ll let you know if I need one. Thanks again, Merry Christmas!
pinesdune

Post by pinesdune »

I took apart my parts truck front end, salvaged the front spindles and wish bone I need, but it’s axel is bent worse than the original so I’ll see what I can do with it in the press in the next few days, I straightened my other A’s axel easily so I’ll try this one. Then to rebuild the radius ball, steering balls, king pins and bushings, front spring.... etc etc etc lol, better than some things I can spend my time on

Rust and glory
dhetch
Body Type: Stake Body
Model Year: 1928

Post by dhetch »

While mixing and matching front end parts you should be aware that there are a number of different spindles, bearings, and hubs for these 28 & 29 trucks. If I remember correctly, my Oct 28 had some of these parts on it that the Service Bulletins said should be replaced (free) at the next dealer service. I did not think that taking it to my local Ford dealer now would be very productive, so I did them myself. The key here is knowing which spindles you want to use BEFORE paying to have the kingpin bushings installed and reamed in the wrong or mismatched spindles. I no longer remember for sure but I think I have 3 different versions of these parts in my barn.
Also check the wishbone for rust or weakness if it may have been sitting on the ground or partially underground.

Dave
pinesdune

Post by pinesdune »

dhetch wrote:While mixing and matching front end parts you should be aware that there are a number of different spindles, bearings, and hubs for these 28 & 29 trucks. If I remember correctly, my Oct 28 had some of these parts on it that the Service Bulletins said should be replaced (free) at the next dealer service. I did not think that taking it to my local Ford dealer now would be very productive, so I did them myself. The key here is knowing which spindles you want to use BEFORE paying to have the kingpin bushings installed and reamed in the wrong or mismatched spindles. I no longer remember for sure but I think I have 3 different versions of these parts in my barn.
Also check the wishbone for rust or weakness if it may have been sitting on the ground or partially underground.

Dave

Thanks for the heads up. I’m digging through the restoration guidelines and the AA book as I go, I have the proper AA replacement spindles with the heavier bearings, the standard front axel, my spring perches I may take to the welding shop to see if they can build up the bushing holes on the one side so I can use shocks later if I wish. I’m not sure if the spring is correct or not, one truck frame has 18 leaves, the other 13, so I have to look into it more. Not sure what to do for the king pin locking bolts yet, they got destroyed during removal and the ones in the set don’t have the extended pin I believe is for a wheel stop. I disassembled a couple spare axels so I have two radius rods to choose from, the one seems solid and looks good tho I can hear a couple flakes of rust shaking inside. Hopefully I can get the front axel in the press and get it straightened, as well as the tie rod, over Christmas. I am not going for a points truck, but I have collected period replacement parts such as a Toledo king pin set,nos timken bearings for the king pins, and a nos forged shackle set. Any tips or things I should check, please let me know.

Are all the steering arms interchangeable between A’s and AA’s ?

Thanks folks, Malcolm