Paint color details: AA 4-speed transmission

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
vonheine
Body Type: none
Model Year: 1930

Paint color details: AA 4-speed transmission

Post by vonheine »

The paint color for the Ford AA 4-speed, of course is mostly Ford green. The shifter tower cap is black, the PTO cover is black. What color should the fill and drain plugs be, green or black? What else is black on the transmission? (It’s all in primer now, and it will be painted, so my preference is to paint it to original Ford specifications)
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Paint color details: AA 4-speed transmission

Post by Neil Wilson »

vonheine wrote:
January 7th, 2018, 9:55 am
The paint color for the Ford AA 4-speed, of course is mostly Ford green. The shifter tower cap is black, the PTO cover is black. What color should the fill and drain plugs be, green or black? What else is black on the transmission? (It’s all in primer now, and it will be painted, so my preference is to paint it to original Ford specifications)
The 4-speed was finished like the A chassis 3-speed. Ford engine green for the case and tower housing. The bolts/washers for the PTO cover were unfinished. Yes, dipped, gloss black enamel for the cover. The housing to case bolts/washers were unfinished. The plugs were raven finish (optional unfinished). Shift tower cap was either gloss black enamel finish or cadmium plated. Shaft ends, shaft retainer, bolt, lock were unfinished. The shift lever was dipped, gloss black enamel finish. The reverse latch parts were:

• AA-7212 rod – dipped, gloss black enamel finish
• AA-7215 – latch trigger – unfinished aluminum
• AA-7216 – trigger screw and A-21577-S2 nut (raven finished) – screw head was to the front
• AA-7217 – rod nut (a raven finished barrel nut)

I found this info in about four places in the RGJS.
Regards, Neil Wilson