Top Wood question

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
KyCliff
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Top Wood question

Post by KyCliff »

Hello all,
I'm working on a '29 AA and ordered new top wood for the cab as there was none when I got this cab.... my question is do I have to modify the wood? It doesn't appear that it fits correctly without some cutting and refitting.... it's a AWD-1033 kit from Snyder's.
I don't mind refitting and cutting if that's what I need to do but don't want to start if I'm missing something.
Thanks for any help, ideas... etc

Cliff
njcar757
Body Type: closed cab

Re: Top Wood question

Post by njcar757 »

First call Snyders. When I bought my truck, it came with a new top wood kit, I don't know who made it, The pieces did not have a perfect fit, I made small wood shims with gorilla glue to fill in places, then I used a small grinder with 4 1/2" auto body grinding disk to blend in. Measure corner to corner on an X pattern to get it right, open both doors, stand back and look at both door posts, are they parallel?
carry on
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

This doesn't answer your question but this link to pictures Marco posted has a lot of good pictures of the 82-A top.
http://abarnyard.com/temp/82-a/

Bob
s147881
Body Type: stake bed 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by s147881 »

Les Andrews model a mechanic volume 2 has great details on installing wood for 28/29 cab
KyCliff
Body Type: 82A

Post by KyCliff »

Thanks everyone for the ideas... I had forgotten that i had the Les Andrew books and found that article.... lots of help there.

Doors shut okay but the cab isn't quite square when measuring in the x pattern... will need to figure out how to square it a little better.
Always something to keep the brain in gear...
I didn't have any top wood on the cab so haven't got anything to compare to, had been all removed and a metal sheet screwed to the top.
thanks again