Looking for some advice on AA trucks

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
s147881
Body Type: stake bed 82A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Looking for some advice on AA trucks

Post by s147881 » February 11th, 2018, 5:11 am

High speed rear gear and warford easily gets you 55+ in AA.

aland
Model Year: 1932

Post by aland » February 11th, 2018, 3:59 pm

s147881 wrote:
February 11th, 2018, 5:11 am
High speed rear gear and warford easily gets you 55+ in AA.
So I guess the $64,000 question becomes if the AA is practical to take on a 400 mile trip 3 times a year?

That is pretty much what I use my current flatbed for. Truth be told I would like something like that to drive around more often, and that's why I am starting to look at the early V8 pickups. The 1/2-ton seems a bit more nimble, if that's an appropriate term to use for a '30s automobile.

Might still take a bit of work also to tune, but seems easier than the 1-1/2 ton. I could be wrong...correct me if I am. :roll:

Alan

Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes » February 11th, 2018, 11:19 pm

A Mitchell gear splitter will give you a good overdrive too. Lots quieter than a Warford.

pinesdune

Post by pinesdune » February 12th, 2018, 6:15 am

I haven’t played /drove an AA.... yet , but the 40’s 50’s Early 60’s trucks over 1 ton all had similar road speeds, more or less maxed out at 55mph. Only nice thing with the newer trucks is I believe you can swap differentials and transmissions to achieve more comfortable highway speeds, but IMO the trucks are too rough a ride on most roads to go much faster than 55. But I love my A sport coupe, when I get in it, I know I’m going out to enjoy the day/ride, not “get a job done” , there’s something about the whine of those old transmission gears and cruising at 45 mph. Sure it may take you 4 hours or so to go 200 miles, but it slows a guy down in a fast paced life, and adds something special to the experience

Rust and glory

aland

Post by aland » February 12th, 2018, 10:52 am

pinesdune wrote:
February 12th, 2018, 6:15 am
I haven’t played /drove an AA.... yet , but the 40’s 50’s Early 60’s trucks over 1 ton all had similar road speeds, more or less maxed out at 55mph. Only nice thing with the newer trucks is I believe you can swap differentials and transmissions to achieve more comfortable highway speeds, but IMO the trucks are too rough a ride on most roads to go much faster than 55. But I love my A sport coupe, when I get in it, I know I’m going out to enjoy the day/ride, not “get a job done” , there’s something about the whine of those old transmission gears and cruising at 45 mph. Sure it may take you 4 hours or so to go 200 miles, but it slows a guy down in a fast paced life, and adds something special to the experience
Indeed I agree with you, I'm fine with smelling the roses and taking my time...just thinking I might find that more enjoyable in a 1/2-ton, driving around more often than the flatbed. The 1/2-ton is better suited to drive around town, IMO.

aland

Post by aland » February 26th, 2018, 1:14 am

pinesdune wrote:
February 9th, 2018, 6:59 pm
One idea for you might be to get a copy of Jim Schilds model AA manual , lots of info and details between the different AA versions without breaking the bank and well as some of the repair areas.
pinesdune,

I did get that book. Let me just say, the book itself is a POS, my binder is coming apart and a page is already falling out. I've only gone through it about 3 times...I tried to contact the seller, no response so I'm filing for a refund through abebooks. This is a new book.

The content of the books is XLNT, no complaints with that and if I need to cut this one apart and scan it in, I'll do that.

One question I have is on the inside of the back cover, there's an Express bed with high sides on it. Any of those survive? I actually like the shorter Express bed, but was curious after seeing that.

Over on the Ford Barn there's a couple guys saying they drive their AA/BBs on the highway and one guy with a BB (33 w/V8) says he changed the rear end gearing and drives 60-65 all the time on the highway...I would be content with 55, so it seems possible with the V8 and possibly changing the rear end gearing.

I also bought Schild's book, "Restorers Classic Car Shop Manual", it's a much larger book and covers various classic models, I got it for only $7 + 3.50 shipping on abebooks. This was a used book, but the quality of the book is actually much better than the AA supplement. :roll:

I'm still interested in the AA/BB, and will take my time looking for one. I definitely want an original, not something that's all rodded up, it will need to be original for me. :)

Alan

Neil Wilson
Body Type: 89-A

Post by Neil Wilson » February 26th, 2018, 9:34 am

One question I have is on the inside of the back cover, there's an Express bed with high sides on it. Any of those survive? I actually like the shorter Express bed, but was curious after seeing that.

Alan
That is the 242-A Heavy Duty Express - few survivors - more at http://aafords.com/open-bodies/express- ... xpress-hd/
Regards, Neil Wilson

Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed » February 26th, 2018, 11:42 am

Neil Wilson wrote:
February 26th, 2018, 9:34 am

Alan
That is the 242-A Heavy Duty Express - few survivors - more at http://aafords.com/open-bodies/express- ... xpress-hd/
Theres a 4 leaf clover growin on a hens tooth rear fender...