Looking for some advice on AA trucks

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
aland
Model Year: 1932

Re: Looking for some advice on AA trucks

Post by aland » February 11th, 2018, 2:30 am

Neil Wilson wrote:
February 9th, 2018, 5:53 am
Given your questions, it seems your knowledge of the AA's is about zip. This should be the correct forum to gain some information. You can also visit aafords.com (see link below) for more information.
Neil,

I wouldn't say my knowledge about AAs was zip, but I will admit that I failed to understand one of the fundamental realities with the AA/BB, being the top speed. :oops:

I've seen videos of people driving them and they seem to chug along, but I didn't realize that the expected speed is 40mph.

However, in understanding the AA helped me realize that there's a better approach for me. There is no reason I need to get rid of my current '97 Super Duty flatbed, it's a 2-ton with a 7.5L 460 V8. Runs pretty good, actually, only has about 80k miles on it. It also has some tool cabinets and a 60 gallon fuel tank and pump. I keep diesel in it for my forklift, but could carry extra petrol for the truck itself too, but it has 2 gas tanks on it and holds about 35-40 gallons.

Anyway, the AA won't replace that for me, and I can drive that on the highway all day long and it will carry more than the AA, so I think your statement was partially correct in that I just hadn't realized the top speed was so low on the AA. I guess the AA is just better suited as a farm truck, and I don't have very much property, my property is just shy of 2 acres where I wanted to use the AA. Most of it is on a bluff, with about 3/4 acre on top. I don't have a lot of hauling that an AA would come in handy for...yeah, would be cool to drive around, but difficult if I need to go pick up something 400 miles away...

That brings me to the early V8 1/2-ton pickups. These will drive 55 and could replace my current daily driver which is a Tacoma with 1/2-ton payload.

As such, I will probably be hanging out more on the Ford Barn as I think I'm going to target a 1/2-ton early V8 truck, it won't replace my flatbed either, but it will replace my Tacoma. I use my Tacoma way more than my flatbed, and as long as I can drive on the freeway at 55, I'm ok. But I do a lot of highway driving and the AA is just not suited for highway miles, as I understand it now. :wink:

Cheers,
Alan

s147881
Body Type: stake bed 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by s147881 » February 11th, 2018, 5:11 am

High speed rear gear and warford easily gets you 55+ in AA.

aland

Post by aland » February 11th, 2018, 3:59 pm

s147881 wrote:
February 11th, 2018, 5:11 am
High speed rear gear and warford easily gets you 55+ in AA.
So I guess the $64,000 question becomes if the AA is practical to take on a 400 mile trip 3 times a year?

That is pretty much what I use my current flatbed for. Truth be told I would like something like that to drive around more often, and that's why I am starting to look at the early V8 pickups. The 1/2-ton seems a bit more nimble, if that's an appropriate term to use for a '30s automobile.

Might still take a bit of work also to tune, but seems easier than the 1-1/2 ton. I could be wrong...correct me if I am. :roll:

Alan

Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes » February 11th, 2018, 11:19 pm

A Mitchell gear splitter will give you a good overdrive too. Lots quieter than a Warford.

pinesdune

Post by pinesdune » February 12th, 2018, 6:15 am

I haven’t played /drove an AA.... yet , but the 40’s 50’s Early 60’s trucks over 1 ton all had similar road speeds, more or less maxed out at 55mph. Only nice thing with the newer trucks is I believe you can swap differentials and transmissions to achieve more comfortable highway speeds, but IMO the trucks are too rough a ride on most roads to go much faster than 55. But I love my A sport coupe, when I get in it, I know I’m going out to enjoy the day/ride, not “get a job done” , there’s something about the whine of those old transmission gears and cruising at 45 mph. Sure it may take you 4 hours or so to go 200 miles, but it slows a guy down in a fast paced life, and adds something special to the experience

Rust and glory

aland

Post by aland » February 12th, 2018, 10:52 am

pinesdune wrote:
February 12th, 2018, 6:15 am
I haven’t played /drove an AA.... yet , but the 40’s 50’s Early 60’s trucks over 1 ton all had similar road speeds, more or less maxed out at 55mph. Only nice thing with the newer trucks is I believe you can swap differentials and transmissions to achieve more comfortable highway speeds, but IMO the trucks are too rough a ride on most roads to go much faster than 55. But I love my A sport coupe, when I get in it, I know I’m going out to enjoy the day/ride, not “get a job done” , there’s something about the whine of those old transmission gears and cruising at 45 mph. Sure it may take you 4 hours or so to go 200 miles, but it slows a guy down in a fast paced life, and adds something special to the experience
Indeed I agree with you, I'm fine with smelling the roses and taking my time...just thinking I might find that more enjoyable in a 1/2-ton, driving around more often than the flatbed. The 1/2-ton is better suited to drive around town, IMO.