Power Take Off

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Jeff Brown
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Power Take Off

Post by Jeff Brown »

Hi all,
This is probably a dumb question but how do you operate a PTO while the truck is stationary. It wasn't something I had given a lot of thought to, but it seems that the PTO can only operate with the driveshaft and therefore back wheels turning. Did they jack up one wheel to allow it to turn when operating something off a PTO - which seems a bit inconvenient? There are a lot of applications where you would not want the tuck to move so am I missing something here?

Jeff
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Re: Power Take Off

Post by Bob C »

The PTO will work with the transmission in neutral as it runs off of the cluster gear.

Bob
Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown »

Thanks Bob, so the PTO would need to be mounted on the 4 speed transmission and not on the Warford auxiliary for it to work while the truck is stationary? in which case it can only run in one direction - it cannot be reversed - is that correct??

Jeff
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

You can mount it on the Warford. When you want to use the PTO just put The Warford in neutral and
the main box in the gear of your choice.

Bob
Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown »

Thanks Bob, I knew I was missing something, forgot that the warford has a neutral position!

Jeff
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

same is true for the 28/29 with dual high - it has a neutral position that drives the PTO. then the 3 speed trans is your speeds and reverse.
tiredtruckrestorer

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

When you mount a PTO to any transmission you want to check the backlash between the PTO driven gear and the transmissions driving gear. The backlash should be .006 to .012 between the gears. Do not just use the gasket that comes with your gasket kit. PTO mounting gaskets come in several different thicknesses. Sometimes you have to use several gaskets of different thicknesses to get the correct backlash between the gears. Do not use the cork gasket that comes with some gasket kits to mount a PTO either. The cork ones are just to use with the PTO cover plate when no PTO is used. If you use a cork gasket to mount a PTO, the cork gaskets keep squashing over time and start leaking. Just tightening the fasteners that hold it on then changes your backlash clearances. Any modern truck garage would have the paper gaskets in different thickness to mount a PTO. The 6-bolt pattern used on our "AA" s is a standard SAE bolt pattern that is still used today. Failure to install a PTO correctly can cause excessive noise, wear, or even break the PTO case.

By the way, Warford made their own PTO for their transmissions. Although I never tried to mount a regular PTO to a Warford, you want to doubly careful that the clearances are right and the gears mesh correctly before you start it up and put it in gear. You don't want to blow a hole in the side of the Warford!

Just wanted to warn you if your not use to working with PTO's.

Keith
Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown »

Thanks Keith, all good information. Not sure what make my PTO is except that it is not a Warford. The backlash on my gears seems to be minimal - neither sets of gears seem to have much wear so I think it is OK. Pretty steep learning curve going on here!

Jeff