Front spring clip question

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
pinesdune
Model Year: 1930

Front spring clip question

Post by pinesdune »

I’m rebuilding the front end on my AA while I wait for the last couple bits to come for the diff. Quick question about the front spring clips, I don’t have any on my truck and am going to make a couple. What width and thickness of steel are they, and how “tight” are they to the front axel, I’m guessing a little loose so as to let the spring slip and flex easily. Please correct me if I’m wrong, thanks folks.Image
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Re: Front spring clip question

Post by Stakebed »

you dont want them loose. we made some for my 18 leaf front spring and used some standard flat sock from the farm supply stores. Used a press and 2 U shaped things to press the U shape. slipped them over the spring and carefully measured where holes should go. drilled and using a grade 8 bolt they look factory.

Oh and the factory pressed a dimple into the top of the U to fit in the leaf spring that has holes. I just drilled and tapped a hole and used a grade 8 cap screw as the bump with some red locktite on its threads. Cut off and ground flush the exposed excess.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

pinesdune wrote:
February 23rd, 2018, 4:38 am
Quick question about the front spring clips, I don’t have any on my truck and am going to make a couple.
FYI - Clip or Clamp???? Attached photo shows what the spring clips are. I am guessing you are referring to spring clamps.
Attachments
AA-5458-x Clip Bars.jpg
AA-5458-x Clip Bars.jpg (413.02 KiB) Viewed 4187 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

pinesdune

Post by pinesdune »

Neil Wilson wrote:
pinesdune wrote:
February 23rd, 2018, 4:38 am
Quick question about the front spring clips, I don’t have any on my truck and am going to make a couple.
FYI - Clip or Clamp???? Attached photo shows what the spring clips are. I am guessing you are referring to spring clamps.

I’m after the light duty clips that stop the spring from rotating, I’ve seen them called clamps and clips so sorry for any confusion, here’s the A version
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/front-spring-clamps

Thanks Stakebed and Bob for the advise and link
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

I always thought the spring clamps are what neil posted above because they do clamp (and make sure thier clamped hard) and the things that pine wants are clips.

I didnt know brattons made several sizes. if you find yours is close you can always make something to slip the bolt through to "tighten" up the clips like a short piece of pipe to make the bolt "thicker".
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Front Spring Clamps?

Post by Neil Wilson »

Stakebed wrote:
February 23rd, 2018, 10:46 am
I always thought the spring clamps are what neil posted above because they do clamp (and make sure thier clamped hard) and the things that pine wants are clips.
The part names are as listed in the Ford parts lists and apply to front/rear A/AA springs. "Clips" are many times called u-bolts.
Regards, Neil Wilson