Spring Start-Up - What to look for?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
CannonballRally
Body Type: flatbed
Model Year: 1931

Re: Spring Start-Up - What to look for?

Post by CannonballRally »

couple more
Attachments
Ford-Double AA -1931-CAAS4775-AVITAR.jpg
Ford-Double AA -1931-CAAS4775-AVITAR.jpg (73.52 KiB) Viewed 4215 times
purdy-4.jpg
purdy-4.jpg (509.86 KiB) Viewed 4215 times
1931 AA Truck - CAAS4775 - 82-B , AA157
CannonballRally

Cannonball Express FINAL-page-001.jpg
Cannonball Express FINAL-page-001.jpg (489.83 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
Since the weather is not cooperating I moved on to signage. I decided since this is my new cannonball rally vehicle it should also be considered an express 😀
CannonballRally

Well all is good. The truck has had its once over. Ended up doing a lot of things not planned on but that's okay it's worth it.

Rewired turn signals installed flasher. Rewired dash lights. Changed exhaust manifold had a crack in it and it was a winter manifold. No wonder it ran so hot. Pulled exhaust off and it was full of carbon at the neck. Cleaned it prevent top flange and installed with new manifold. Purrs. Advance was sticking repaired. Throttle valve sticking repaired. Changed carb as the float had been soldered and was sinking on the other one. It was not in good shape.. Changed battery cables to 6 volt replacing 12v on it previously. Reversed coil wire was connected wrong. Set points and set plug gap. Changed oil. Checked brakes perfect. Emergency worked flawlessly. Found 2 mice nests. Continued to do the once over. Lubed everywhere. Took it for its first drive this week. Need to replace fan belt. Found rubber under right side hood. Looked further found chunk out of belt. Lastly after a good 2 hour ripping around noticed it is leaking radiator fluid. Hopefully simple fix.

Fun factor 10+
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

Very good! new belt is nothing fancy so take the old one to a farm supply store and match it up for $5...
CannonballRally

Found out the problem with radiator. Simple down tube did not have hose on it. As such fan blew water everywhere, and what dropped rain down left side spring. Fixed.

Fan belt. $5 bucks USD maybe ... was 19 bucks Cdn. Problem solved. Cooling far better dropped at least 15 degrees with consistant engagement.

Went for a good 2 hour drive today. Into town. Coffee shop etc.....seems to take a bit of getting use to adjusting GAV and advance etx. Was much better at idle when I got closer to home. Maybe just needed a good run.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

I checked my coolant temp. today after a long ride. About 200 deg. At idle around 190 deg. Finally got the boiling over issue fixed. Next is to work on generator speed.

BTW Your truck looks Great!!
KVO
Dec. '28 AA