Spicer Axel Components

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
pinesdune
Model Year: 1930

Spicer Axel Components

Post by pinesdune »

Anyone know who repops / or how to make these, off my Canadian AA, looking for the bells and covers (if that's the correct terms) Image
All Spicer components

Rust and glory
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Re: Spicer Axel Components

Post by Bob C »

Best I can tell from the parts book the big bell is a Inner Casing Assembly AAC 100008 R and the other part
is an Outer Casing Assembly (slip joint) AAC 100009 AR. There is also a Casing Spring (slip joint) AAC 100012 AR.

Bob
pinesdune

Post by pinesdune »

Bob C wrote:Best I can tell from the parts book the big bell is a Inner Casing Assembly AAC 100008 R and the other part
is an Outer Casing Assembly (slip joint) AAC 100009 AR. There is also a Casing Spring (slip joint) AAC 100012 AR.

Thanks for the part numbers, I imagine these will be a "make my own" thing, I could always use a CV joint boot as well until I find or make something, at least both u-joints are tight, the one has a number of 1980 on it , the other is a little hard to make out (still trying to get the old grease off it and it's soaking in the parts washer yet.

Does anyone know if any other "big trucks"
back in the day used these or set ups similar (Mack, Reo, Diamond T?) I'm just curious.

Rust and glory
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

Not sure how big your parts are but could you adapt some early Ford parts like this
and maybe the end of a torque tube or a clam shell?

Bob
u-joint-housing.jpg
u-joint-housing.jpg (186.62 KiB) Viewed 3681 times
pinesdune

Post by pinesdune »

Hi Bob, I've decided to cheat this, I picked up a couple cv boots and am going to use them over the slip joint and remove the springs and smaller slip cover with hopes of finding a good set somewhere in the future. With the driveshaft being bolted it's only a few minutes and I can remove it and replace the original components when I find good ones. The bells are very close in size to a standard model A torque tube end and u-joint cover but it would still be quite a bit of modifying to where it would bolt up to.