Anybody know the story on this Express?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
aland
Model Year: 1932

Re: Anybody know the story on this Express?

Post by aland »

Chris Haynes wrote:
April 27th, 2018, 6:54 pm
906 285 0819 is the number
Yeah, I mentioned the phone number, but kind of afraid to call him just in case he didn't sell it... :oops:

Trucks are a weakness for me...my wife keeps telling me to get less registrations, not more...but it's a weakness... :roll:

If he did sell it, whoever got it is probably happier than a pig in $#!T, I know I would. :wink:

Alan
s147881
Body Type: stake bed 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by s147881 »

I was inspired by this truck when I seen it on eBay the first time. I thought it sold for 18k. I have decided to keep my express truck totally rust as this one is. I will have new wood in my bed and correct rear fenders.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

s147881 wrote:
April 28th, 2018, 1:13 pm
I have decided to keep my express truck totally rust as this one is. I will have new wood in my bed and correct rear fenders.
Put a coat of non gloss clear on it to stop further rusting. Rust never sleeps. If it can't breathe it won't rust further.
rdhagen
Body Type: AA Express

Post by rdhagen »

I just wanted to comment about this AA express truck. I also wanted to know what happened to this truck. This truck was on ebay back in December of 2012. The reason I know this is that I was watching this truck like a hawk. I watched in amazement as the price got higher and higher. Also what was amazing is that this truck had the wrong fenders, incorrect spare tire carrier, no correct mounting hardware and also missing the rear fender spacers. ( some of the most expensive pieces to find and purchase). The truck still did look nice and I think that is why it was bid up so high. I kept a screenshot of the ending sale back in 2012 and this is what it said. :The sale ended on Dec 16 2012 at 19:00 PST. The location of this truck was in Yerington Nevada. There were 41 bids on this truck and the sale price was $18,100.00. Now fast forward to April 2018. This truck with a new owner was listed for sale again. The truck looked pretty much the same except the door signs and pin striping were painted on. One can only speculate as to why the truck was pulled from the auction. One thing I know is that this truck was being sold without a reserve. The bidding was around $10,000 when it was pulled. Once bids are received its kinda hard to stop the auction. But the auction did end early anyway. It would have been nice to see what the sale price would have gotten to. My feeling is that without a reserve price the truck was not receiving the bids to at least get most of his money back so he ended it early, and he still may have had to pay a fee to ebay even if he pulled it early with bids. Ebay has that in there rules for ending auctions early. They say they can still charge a listing fee.
gad62
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1929

Post by gad62 »

Meenwhile somewhere is southern ohio!!! :D ... i guess its time to tell you guys that i own this truck! It is my first model a...first aa...and i have a lot to learn but i had to have it! The old truck needs a lot but i am slowly trying to make it all better! Greg
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Greg, Would you mind telling us the price?
gad62

Post by gad62 »

I have no idea what the ebay auction deal was ....i bought it from a fella a couple towns over that said after he got it he had to many irons in the fire....and i guess ill keep what i gave for it a secret but i think it was a fair price.
..Greg
aland

Post by aland »

Wow, congrats on such a nice truck Greg. When I was interested in Fords, I felt this one one of the nicest AAs I had seen, no matter if it has all the right parts or not, it's got character and sometimes that counts more, IMO. The Indian logo pushes it over the edge.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

gad62 wrote:
April 21st, 2019, 9:53 am
Meenwhile somewhere is southern ohio!!! :D ... i guess its time to tell you guys that i own this truck! It is my first model a...first aa...and i have a lot to learn but i had to have it! The old truck needs a lot but i am slowly trying to make it all better! Greg
Greg, You might be interested in joining the Ford Model AA Truck Club. Membership join information is at https://aafords.com/c/ms/#j.

The rear fenders, wheel carrier, etc. can be something on your list to find if you are interested. You just need to find those parts with the same type of patina to match the rest of the truck. There is lots of information at:

https://aafords.com/open-bodies/express ... a-express/
https://aafords.com/aa-chassis/aa-16000-fenders/
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by gad62 »

Wow, congrats on such a nice truck Greg. When I was interested in Fords, I felt this one one of the nicest AAs I had seen, no matter if it has all the right parts or not, it's got character and sometimes that counts more, IMO. The Indian logo pushes it over the edge

Thanks guys, i was begining to think noone really cared about the old girl!! Lol. I love it and have wanted a express truck for many years, now to get it road worthy!!......Greg
gad62

Post by gad62 »

Neil...i am looking for those parts it needs and will slowly be gathering them up(gotta stay in the budget you know)...that that we cant find will be reproduced to the best of my ability.....and look for me to join the aa club soon!!.....thanks, Greg
aland

Post by aland »

gad62 wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 12:18 pm
Thanks guys, i was begining to think noone really cared about the old girl!! Lol.
Well, I doubt she's been deprived of attention wherever you taker her, so I doubt that will be any real issue for you.

I was considering pulling the trigger on her when she was listed on ebay, but blam, gone in a blink without the auction finishing.

How did you track it down, was it listed again at some point? Someone here (I believe) mentioned that it had been for sale on another ford site, but I can't remember the details. After quite a bit of research I found out what a horrible person Henry Ford was, and ended up with a '46 Chevy Pickup. I haven't decided what I will do with it, but would like to get the doors painted to look old. I have an idea what I'd like on it, just need to find someone that can make it look old. Do you know who painted your truck?
gad62 wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 12:18 pm
I love it and have wanted a express truck for many years, now to get it road worthy!!......Greg
I'd be curious what you consider road worthy. I bought a new ring/pinion for my Chevy, it has 4.11:1 and even 50mph is starting to get intolerable. 45mph is more comfortable. This really didn't change on any trucks until the 50s.

What type of speed do you get out of her on the highway?

I don't think anyone would feel cheated owning that truck, I know I wouldn't.

Cheers,
Alan
gad62

Post by gad62 »

Alan, i saw the truck with a regular a pickup for sale sittng along us 23 in the next county over. I didnt know it was well known online until after i bought it! I just wanted an express and so finally after a couple offers i bought it.
As for getting it road worthy, the carb was warped, the king pins were shot, back brakes were frozen and fronts are so sloppy they barely hold so i have been busy....almost there
Ive only drivin it up and down the road here by the house a few times to test things (maybe 15 miles) since i got it....its getting better!!!

As for old Henry, he's been gone a long time, and the old express is 90 now so i dont figure any of my money is goin in his pockets, i own a lot of things that i dont agree with the way of life of the people that produced it!! :D but shes still cool!!!
As for the paint on the doors, that must have been done between ebay sales, i have no idea
Well off to work...Greg
aland

Post by aland »

Greg,

One thing I have you might be interested in is the AA Truck Supplement to Restorer's Model A Shop Manual by Jim Schild.

I would think this would be useful for you if you didn't already buy one. If you don't have it, PM me your addy and I'll send it to you. I haven't gone through it too much so none of the pages are dog eared, it's essentially like new, but I will say that some of the pages are coming out of the binding, it's a really poor binding job for a new book... :roll: my plan was to just scan it into a PDF, but I think it would be better served with you, providing you didn't get one already. If you already have it I'll keep it and give it to someone with a AA that doesn't have it.

I have another of Schild's books, it's a kind of generic antique restoration guide, but the one above is specific for the AA. Some cool drawings/pics in it.

Cheers,
Alan
gad62

Post by gad62 »

Thanks Alan, i sent you an email.....Greg