How to install a WARFORD in a 28 AA

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

How to install a WARFORD in a 28 AA

Post by birdacre »

i have a december 28 AA. it has the 5:17 rear end worm drive. it was updated to a four speed. different bearing retainer on back of transmission. I am looking at a warford for sale. the seller said the u joint is in two pieces on this set up and a special bearing retainer is needed. does anyone have any photos of the set up. i think that the warford replaces the intermediate shaft back to the cross member. i have looked at old posts. In your opinion what do i NEED or already HAVE to do the job???? How does the warford work. is it like a two speed rear end. i had heard once that they only were for 3 speeds. are there different splines. any help appreciated. thank you, kevin
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Re: How to install a WARFORD in a 28 AA

Post by Bob C »

How about a picture of your bearing retainer. Is the Warford you are looking at a 1928-29 or a 1930-31?
Below are a couple of pictures that were posted before.

Bob
IMAG0656_zps5feb9893.jpg
IMAG0656_zps5feb9893.jpg (72.41 KiB) Viewed 7871 times
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

Try again.
shaft installedJPG.jpeg
shaft installedJPG.jpeg (110.29 KiB) Viewed 7869 times
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

my bearing retainer is already in the truck. i don't have a photo of it. i will find out what vintage the warford is. thank you for this info. kevin
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

There is some information at this link. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4901&hilit=installing+Warford

Bob
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

bearing retainer in photos looks like the one i have. sounds like i need a u joint with one side smaller. has anyone ever put one in a 28-29 that has a four speed. what will i need? besides the warford????
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

how about going back to original and use a three speed? Both 3 and 4 speeds have a 1:1 hi speed ratio. So top speed will be the same. With the extra trany you should have enough gears to play with.. Will that solve your installation issues?.. Just some thoughts..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
tiredtruckrestorer

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

First off, there were different input spline sizes between a '28-'29 Warford and a '30-'31 Warford. The '28-'29 Warford was made to use behind a 3-speed. The coupling shaft was just removed and the Warford installed using the original U-joint. Since the four-speed transmission is a little longer and the '30-'31 style coupling shaft was completely different, the installation takes some different parts. The input splines on the Warford were changed also and a special internal splined coupling was made to fit over the AA-4811 coupling shaft main gear used on the four-speed transmission output shaft. This matted the four-speed to the '30-'31 Warford without the use of a u-joint (probably due to length concerns). I've only ever found one of these special couplings. Somewhere I have pictures and more detailed information.

Keith
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

i have my 3 speed coupling shaft currently in use matted to the 4 speed. it has the 4 speed bearing retainer logically on the back of transmission. the u joint i believe is the original that was hooked to the 3 speed. it was hooked up when i bought it. so..... my hope is i remove the intermediate shaft and the 3 speed coupling shaft spline is the same as the warford just like you said. i use my rear support on the back of warford. does this sound logical. i think i might have all i need already???
bud valerius
Model Year: 1930

Post by bud valerius »

Sounds like you might have the correct u joint already
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

i think i might. hope all is well. kevin
tiredtruckrestorer

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

The Warford made to use behind a 3-speed has a six spline input shaft. These used the standard u-joint to connect the two. The one for use behind the four speed has a ten spline input shaft, a special adapting gear to fit over it, a special coupling to fit the outer spline of the adapting gear that mates with the standard AA-4811 coupling shaft male gear that fits the 4-speed output shaft. Sorry could not get pictues to work.

Keith
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: How to install a WARFORD behind a 4-speed

Post by Neil Wilson »

tiredtruckrestorer wrote:
June 6th, 2018, 1:25 am
The Warford made to use behind a 3-speed has a six spline input shaft. These used the standard u-joint to connect the two. The one for use behind the four speed has a ten spline input shaft, a special adapting gear to fit over it, a special coupling to fit the outer spline of the adapting gear that mates with the standard AA-4811 coupling shaft male gear that fits the 4-speed output shaft. Sorry could not get pictures to work.

Keith
Note that the subject is incorrect since this thread is about installing a Warford designed for behind a 3-speed to be installed behind a 4-speed.

The Warford for behind a 4-speed is almost never found. Here is Keith's photo. Note the front installation plate. The Warford for an AA157 is almost never found.

To install a Warford designed for behind a 3-speed when a 4-speed is used takes special parts (discussed above).
Attachments
Warford & coupling 1.jpg
Warford & coupling 1.jpg (81.98 KiB) Viewed 7610 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Bob C »

Here are some pictures of a Warford in a LWB 1930-31.

Bob
warford1.jpg
warford1.jpg (209.5 KiB) Viewed 7605 times
The attachment warford1.jpg is no longer available
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

would only let me post one picture.
warford5.jpg
warford5.jpg (171.32 KiB) Viewed 7604 times