LOCATING ODD NOISE

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

LOCATING ODD NOISE

Post by birdacre »

my 28 AA runs great EXCEPT it has developed a noise when under a load. seems if it was piston slap i would hear it at idle if i rev it up it is very quiet, smooth.

under a load mainly 4th gear a "railing" noise. hard to short out a cylinder going down the road. i had posted recently that my four speed is made from 3 different transmissions. could it be that these gears are starting to sing. they have been working together for about 400 miles.

Perhaps a bearing?? main or rod?? I am going to be installing a warford soon. this will be the ideal time to explore transmission condition and drop oil pan if i have to. My question is: does anyone have a place to start with ascertaining the "noise" based on scenario. any ideas appreciated. no rod noise at idle when revved up? thank you in advance for your ideas and knowledge. noise does seem to quiet if timing is retarded to mid point. could timing be too advanced and firing too late and making noise??? kevin
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Re: LOCATING ODD NOISE

Post by KimVanOrder »

I had a rattle in my 28 that I chased for a yr.. Finely found it to be the Pass. side door latch actuator. Some times gone, some times sing like mad. I put shrink tube over it and now all is quiet'er'. Good hunting..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA