Timing

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Apple Truck

Timing

Post by Apple Truck »

Good morning
Saturday I went to start my truck to go to a car show. It would not start. I cleaned the points and it started. When I puled the advance lever down about half way it did not want to run very well. If I pushed the advance lever up the engine would start to speed up and run better. I checked the timing and it was set the same as it has been for the past two years. It acts as if the timing is to far advanced. Could a couple of teeth be off the fiber timing gear allowing the timing to be off and the gear still be good enough to turn the dist. The truck was running well two weeks ago when I parked it. Let me know what you think. Tonight I am going to pull the timing gear cover to take a look.
Thanks
Apple Truck
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: Timing

Post by 1crosscut »

I'm thinking that your timing gear is probably not your problem. Did you pull the distributor off, remove the upper plate to get a really good look at your points? They may be pitted to the point that dressing them with a points file will not allow them to function as they should. Not a big job or super big expense to replace them. But before you do anymore tinkering with it pull the coil wire from the distributor and see how far the spark will jump from it to one of your head studs. It should jump close to 1/2" or so with a fat blue spark.
------------
Dave
Apple Truck

Post by Apple Truck »

Thank's Crosscut
I did pull the upper plate and took a look. every thing looked good. I changed the condencer while I was at. I puled the plugs out and put the timing pin in and cranked it over by hand till the timing pin went into the indent. I looked in the plug hole and the piston is at tdc. The timing is set good so I think the fiber gear has to be good. I think a valve may be sticking so I sprayed some PB blaster at the valves and cranked the engine over with the hand crank.I will let it soak for a couple days and see if that helps. I will also check to see what kind of spark I am getting from the coil wire. This is the first time I have had any problem with the truck. I have put a little over two thousand miles on it after the resteration. Hope everyone had a good and safe 4th.
Thank You
AppleTruck
Brady
Body Type: None
Model Year: 1930

Post by Brady »

If it's '30/'31, the column may have twisted in the clamp at the steering box, and thrown off the control levers.