GREAT SOURCE FOR VINTAGE BEARINGS

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

GREAT SOURCE FOR VINTAGE BEARINGS

Post by birdacre »

I bought a warford from a fellow club member. he said it was in great condition, really nice gears. i asked if he thought i should take it apart and check bearings. he said "no" just flush with kerosene and install.this made the sale for me. a "bolt in" from a respected source. i am a bit of a pessimist so i took apart. all the hyatts were in pieces, cages so loose the rollers fell out. one had the cage worn on the end in a circle that allowed the roller to come out the end. ball bearings that sounded like a bad pair of roller skates. very glad i am cautious.it would have been a disaster if installed, not to mention the time to take apart again. anyways, i have spent weeks looking on line, club members, and no luck. i finally found a place SOUTH SHORE BEARING IN QUINCY MASS. i sent up the items and STEVE sent me all NOS at a great price. i told the seller that i was shocked to find the bearings in this condition. i felt that it was not what i had paid for. he responded that he would never put a transmission in without checking the bearings. i told him that i would not either. the fact that he told me just to wash with kerosene led me to trust him. i have had great luck with fellow club members and integrity. i sent him the email chains to show his recommendation for install without disassemble. i asked him to explain it. he then said i must have damaged the parts taking them apart via impact. funny thing, a warford comes apart very easy, take the ends off and the gear cluster falls right out. the counter shaft taps out and the bearings are never in harms way. my point, if you are in need of bearings, contact steve, he sold me what he professed. any ideas on how to deal with this, forget it? i hate to be given the run around. share his name in the hopes that no one else is deceived, or ask him to pay for the bearings in good faith. everyone has a bad day but to alienate a fellow club member over a few hundered dollars worth of bearings seems sad. buyer beware, not everyone is a neil wilson.
Last edited by birdacre on August 10th, 2018, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Re: GREAT SOURCE FOR VINTAGE BEARINGS

Post by Chris Haynes »

Could you share the numbers for the bearings?
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

Post by birdacre »

from what i learned, the hyatt numbers are the cage numbers and not the bearing numbers. the old man at south shore matched them up side by side with his micrometer. he did supply ball bearings bca 6210 and 6307. the counter shaft bearings said 7528 on the ends. the bearings in the cluster gear were without numbers. hope this helps. he prefers to match them versus rely on contradictory numbers. great guy.
vonheine
Body Type: none

Post by vonheine »

South Shore Bearing is local to me. I have bought bearings there for more than 30 years.Most of my AA truck bearings were purchased from SSB. Steve recently helped me with new bearings for AA four speed transmissions. He knows his stuff and it’s a great place.
David R.
Body Type: Chassis

Post by David R. »

I used them after hearing of them on this site. They knew exactly what bearings I needed for the Warford and were great to do business with.