Help

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
RoyBean
Body Type: standard
Model Year: 1929

Help

Post by RoyBean »

I picked this truck up for a friend, He only wants the body and he wants me to sell the chassis. I might keep it as it has been gone through and a lot of work has been done to the Chassis and engine.
I really don't know what I have and was wondering if this truck is known to any of the members. I picked the truck up in Tyrone Georgia.

Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

AA Identification

Post by Neil Wilson »

RoyBean wrote:
August 23rd, 2018, 2:09 am
I picked this truck up for a friend, He only wants the body and he wants me to sell the chassis. I might keep it as it has been gone through and a lot of work has been done to the Chassis and engine.
I really don't know what I have and was wondering if this truck is known to any of the members. I picked the truck up in Tyrone Georgia.
I assume that your friend wants the cab and that there is no cargo body.

The chassis is for a 1930/1931 AA and it has 1929 AA wheels. It looks like the frame has been cut off at the rear. Without good photos, not much can be done for identification. If the cab is original to the AA, then it is a January to June 1930.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Re: Help

Post by RoyBean »

Thanks. I have a lot of pictures. I will post them later. I have been up since midnight and just got in from Illinois.
RoyBean

Post by RoyBean »

I have been out removing parts. The hardest was the speedo cable so everything has been easy so far. I need to search and find out how to remove the wires from the ignition switch to the distributor.
I pick up two skids tomorrow to build a crate for the cab. The cab is ready to set off except for the wire/cable I mentioned.

I appreciate you time in answering my question. Here are some pictures that will maybe tell you more.

RoyBean

Post by RoyBean »

The wheelbase is 131 1/2 and by the serial number on the engine,L315925 it was produced in 8/1928. That is a nice link in your signature.
RoyBean

Post by RoyBean »

Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

Engine is from 28 but that frame is not. Frame number should be stamped about where your left foot rests on the frame rail while driving. Frame looks pretty good so should be able to see the number.

Just a heads up but those are the wrong rims for those axles and stick out much farther than they should and like Neil said - someones hacked the rear of the frame off (common to do for dumptrucks and other similar bodies)

Looks like a nice project tho! Do we dare ask what is to be done with the body?
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

It breaks my heart to see a AA torn apart to build a hot rod.
RoyBean

Post by RoyBean »

It is not going to be a Hot Rod. My friend needs the cab to complete his build. I will look for the frame number. Someone did a excellent job on the engine build and the brakes.
While hauling the truck back from Georgia I got a call from someone I didn't even know wanting to buy the cab. News travels fast.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

I found the serial number on 28 on the frame just in front of the body on the drivers side. right by the starter. can see it with the body on.. Looks like a fun project... :mrgreen:
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
RoyBean

Post by RoyBean »

I have the body lifted with 2X4 blocks and the only number I can see is 9. I don't know if it is the newer 9 or the older stamp. It started raining on me and I had to quit. I have the skid ready to set the cab on so I can have a better look see. I am learning a lot. I finally got the wire out of the distributor.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

RoyBean wrote:
August 23rd, 2018, 5:20 pm
The wheelbase is 131 1/2 and by the serial number on the engine,L315925 it was produced in 8/1928. That is a nice link in your signature.
An original engine id would have an AA prefix. Consequently, the L315925 is just a restamped number and can not be used to determine anything as far as a date. Take a look at http://aafords.com/aa-information/#feidm.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

Never seen an axle tube shaped like this one.

Bob
axleAA.jpg
axleAA.jpg (394 KiB) Viewed 7883 times
RoyBean

Post by RoyBean »

Thanks for the input.
My Father in Law died and I have been busy on his Farm trying to help out. We buried him Wednesday. I have to help keep the Farm going and really have too much on my plate.
I have removed the cab and have it on a skid along with the other parts to ship.
Seem like someone took a lot of parts and made what is known as Bitza. A bit of this and a bit of that.
I will probably end up selling the chassis ,hoping I can sell it complete. I might just put it in my shed and see what happens over the cold months.
This is a very informative site and I really enjoy reading all the information ,especially the information that people went through to document these vehicles. Some of the projects show what a wonderful Country we have by the skills and ingenuity of the members here.
garagekulture13

Post by garagekulture13 »

I too bought an AA from the same gentleman about a month ago.. I saw that truck while I was there. He had an amazing collection. I picked up the 1930 he had for sale.

Also, sorry to hear about your father in law.

ImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk