Removal of rear brake camshaft bushing assembly

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Rob29
Body Type: 88-A
Model Year: 1929

Removal of rear brake camshaft bushing assembly

Post by Rob29 »

I cannot get this assembly to rotate. I've soaked it in solvent. I've heated it and tried tapping it out but it won't budge. Any tips on removing it?
Attachments
IMG_20180827_1901211.jpg
IMG_20180827_1901211.jpg (111.32 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Removal of rear brake camshaft bushing assembly

Post by Neil Wilson »

Rob29 wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 5:27 pm
I cannot get this assembly to rotate. I've soaked it in solvent. I've heated it and tried tapping it out but it won't budge. Any tips on removing it?
So, there is a brake cam shaft bushing, rear brake cam shaft, and rear brake cam. There is no assembly? It looks like you have removed the rear brake cam - is that correct. And you are having trouble removing the rear brake cam shaft (see attached photo) is that correct?
Attachments
sb cam shaft - cam org-2.jpg
sb cam shaft - cam org-2.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 3887 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Rob29 »

Thanks for the great photo Neil. Yes, it is the rear brake cam shaft that won't budge.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Rob29 wrote:
August 29th, 2018, 8:54 am
Thanks for the great photo Neil. Yes, it is the rear brake cam shaft that won't budge.
And the cam is removed then? The bushing which the shaft turns in is brass and I don't think it is being reproduced. I suggest you use a driver which is slightly smaller than the shaft diameter along with a heavy hammer (like 4 lbs.). Try tapping the driver on one side and then the other. If tapping does not start the shaft moving, then try a heaver blow. Make sure the driver is not toughing the bushing while trying to drive the shaft.

Maybe others have suggestions.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

Some thing doesn't look right in your photo. The splined part is sticking into where the cross cam goes. Drive the splined shaft back. Use a lot of penetrating oil.. If the splined shaft moved out board, it must not be frozen tight. It should move back. All the way out. then the bushing should come out.. Good luck...
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Rob29

Post by Rob29 »

Thanks Guys. I'll give that a shot this weekend and let you know how it turns out.
Rob29

Post by Rob29 »

Soaked it in penetrating oil for a day and was able to drive it out successfully without trashing the bushing. That is one thin bushing. Polished the cam shaft and reinstalled. It works perfectly. Thanks for the advice. Just need a u-joint to get the whole back end together. Anxious to finally get the truck to roll!