sandblast a rolling chassis

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
wild4679
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

sandblast a rolling chassis

Post by wild4679 »

I want to have as many parts as possible of my rolling chassis prepped and primed before winter. This would include the frame, suspension, rear end/torque tube, wishbone, and front end. There's a good sandblasting/paint shop near me and the easiest would be to roll the chassis on a trailer and take to them.

I'm planning on disassembling the leaf springs and would like to make that job as easy as possible. I also intend to restore the differential, and of course all the brakes, linkage, and drums.

So here's the question: What parts of a rolling chassis can be sandblasted, and what parts cannot? I'm concerned about sand in bearings, bushings, through breather holes, etc.

If some parts are off limits to sandblasting, how does a guy get them ready to paint?
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Re: sandblast a rolling chassis

Post by Chris Haynes »

Do it right and take it apart.
dhetch
Body Type: Stake Body
Model Year: 1928

Post by dhetch »

I take the radiator, cab, and sheet metal off, plug any holes, protect any parts with a special finish like shift handle, and put it on the trailer. You may or may not want to leave the wheels on or off depending on how you want to do it. Rear wheels off allows a better blast of the rear springs, but the springs have to come off the frame to do a good job anyhow. When done being blasted, either have the shop or you can prime it with a good quality epoxy primer the color of the finished top coat. I assume for a frame and running gear it will be black. Once this is done, You can start taking it apart. As you go through the parts, you can clean any residual sand out of the parts. You will probably still have some parts like backs of wheels and other side of springs, etc. to get blasted.
Make sure you trailer it home after blasting.
Good Luck
Dave
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

If you have it sandblasted as a unit you will have to dismantle it to clean all the sand out. So take it to the blaster in pieces and get every part back as fresh made. Not something done halfway.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

I agree with Chris, take it apart and do it right.

Bob
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

Take it all apart. Now is not the time to skrimp. ( is that a real word)? or is it Skimp . Bottom line. Take it all apart, do it correctly now.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA