Vehicle GVW

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
REM
Model Year: 1930

Vehicle GVW

Post by REM »

Does any one have any idea what might be the max GVW on an AA.
Information needed for title and registration form. I don't suppose it is critical to be accurate on this and I was going to just put in number that seemed reasonable to me to fill the blank but thought I'd ask and if the info was readily available that would be better.
Thanks Richard
Mike in Maine
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

weight

Post by Mike in Maine »

Rem,
lot of variables, depending on chassis and body style. Example: A truck with closed cab, platform body and dual wheel weighs at 3,728 lbs.. The payload capacity would be 3,793. A maximum load of 2 1/4 tons w/dual
wheels. This info is in A.G.Macmillan"s book, Ford Model A/AA Truck Owner. These figures were found on Page 69. Does this help? If you do not have the book and do not have time to get one let me know what you have and I will copy info out of the book and e-mail it to you. Mike
REM

Post by REM »

Mike
What I have is a CC, platform with rear duals. The total weight including vehicle and load is what they want. If I add the figures together (3,728 and 3,793) I get 7,521#. I don't understand the 2 1/4 tons max load.
If you can clarify it more that would be great but I think 7,500 would make them happy and give me a number to use that had some merit.

Thanks Richard
Mike in Maine
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

weight

Post by Mike in Maine »

Rem, Not sure what they ment by 2 1/4 ton maximum either. It is literature written by Ford as a selling point for their trucks I guess. I can speculate that it may have had something to do with combined weight of a full tank of fuel, number and weight of occupants in cab and other added accesories? I am not near the book at this time but will check further this evening to see if it covers that issue. I would like to find something that gives actual front and rear axle weights. Are you planning on hauling anything that would put you over the 7500#'s? Mike
REM

Post by REM »

Mike

I doubt it will ever haul more than a couple passengers plus a couple hundred pounds. I just needed a vehicle gross weight rating for a DMV form and figured if I could find something with some basis for accuracy it would be better than just pulling a number out of the air.

Thanks for your help. They will be happy with 7500# I'm sure.

Richard
Vicky

Post by Vicky »

I, too, have closed cab, platform body and dual wheels. I put down 3900 pounds. In Vermont, over that gets you into "Big" truck registration dollars. I've never had a problem.

Vicky
REM

Post by REM »

Vicky
That is definitely something to consider but here I think 8600 is the first weight where they change any registration requirements. I'm sure all states vary.
Thanks Richard
Watermelon Truck2

gvw

Post by Watermelon Truck2 »

Pennsylvania doesn't even ask about that with an antique plate