Flathead V8 Installation

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
gearling
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1929

Flathead V8 Installation

Post by gearling »

After attending to other things, I'm finally finding time for my AAs !!!!!
Just exploring the feasibility/practicality of stuffing a Flathead V8 from a '55 Sedan in a '28 AA flatbed with a worm gear drive rear end.
It is well within my skillset to modify or fabricate cross members, linkages, fuel lines, wiring, etc. My questions have more to do with the drivetrain than anything else. AND, just me being me, I will take measures to make the conversion reversible.
My questions are:
Not if, but what will I most likely need to fabricate or purchase?
Will the V8 bolt up to the truck transmission, if not, will the transmission from the car bolt up to the truck driveshaft?
Will the added horsepower put my worm gear rear end at risk of undue wear or damage?
Thanks in advance for shared experience, knowledge and wisdom!
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Re: Flathead V8 Installation

Post by KimVanOrder »

Maybe. :wink:
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
gearling

Post by gearling »

Would that be a definite maybe, or is it purely hypothetical?
gearling

Post by gearling »

I haven't acquired the engine yet, but after looking over the truck and at flathead V8 photos online, it appears to be a fairly straightforward job with everything I already have onhamd.... considering the fact that the driveshaft has previously been cut and extended with a segment of iron pipe (threads and all) welded to the shaft.
flatford39
Body Type: Express

Post by flatford39 »

55 would be OHV not flathead just saying. That rear end is going to dictate your speed. A lot of work for very little improvement in my mind. You may want to upgrade that rear end while your at it. I have a FH V8 in my 31 Roadster with a 39 rear end. Makes a big difference. You need to give some thought to the trans too. I am using a 39 case with 46 48 gears.
gearling

Post by gearling »

Ok, that is of some help. Perhaps the seller has misidentified the year, but it is a flathead engine. I'm not planning to take a long trip or go highway speed, My intent is to just stay around town with it, go to local meets, etc. I just like the look and sound of the flathead V8, and really don't want to rebuild the 4 cylinder that's in it. I have the engine available, and don't wish to alter any of my other vehicles. Any further input leading to a shortcut installation is appreciated!
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

From reading posts on the Ford Barn V8 site the 1948 and earlier V8's fit better than the 1949 and later flatheads.
flatford39
Body Type: Express

Post by flatford39 »

Bob C is correct. The 8BA's are a real tight fit and need quite a bit of massaging to get into the A engine compartment. 8BA's are 49 thru 53. A 59A is a little shorter and is easier to install but it is still a lot of work. these are not bolt ins by any means. You are going to have to make new front engine mounts (the AA one will not work nor will the AA trans mount.) and make something to support the transmission. Also you will spend quite a bit of time making a fn work as well. Then there are the problems with exhaust and steering box clearance. Just be prepared to know it is not a bolt in.