warford shift pattern and shifting while moving

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

warford shift pattern and shifting while moving

Post by birdacre »

i put a warford in my 28 AA. what is the shift pattern. it seems closest to steering wheel down is underdrive, moving to center of truck down is direct and up is overdrive. of course direct will accelerate quicker. is it really just 4th that you would move in overdrive, or put in overdrive on level ground and go through all gears. not sure how the ratios work best. is it possible to shift from direct to overdrive while moving. i have double clutched 2 speed rear ends with no problem. i can't seem to find the sweet spot for smooth shifting while moving. should it be put in neutral and double clutched? if someone has figure this out please advise. it seems truck like to go about 45 on level in what i think is OD. not much power beyond that. in the past before warford 35 was about max. in fourth. i have seen neil's ratio chart but not sure how i would get up to 55 unless down a hill. please advise, many questions, but many knowledgeable people on this site, thank you, kevin
birdacre
Body Type: AA express

Re: warford shift pattern and shifting while moving

Post by birdacre »

according to neil's illustration down is OD and back is direct. OD sure is loud compared to direct. my gears were good, not perfect.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Re: warford shift pattern and shifting while moving

Post by KimVanOrder »

it seems truck like to go about 45 on level in what i think is OD. not much power beyond that. in the past before warford 35 was about max. in fourth. how i would get up to 55 unless down a hill.

Sounds like your running out of HP.. Do you know what RPM your turning??
KVO
Dec. '28 AA