warford 2023 counter gear cluster

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

warford 2023 counter gear cluster

Post by birdacre »

does anyone have a photo of this in pristine condition? i would like a reference to the one i installed that had slightly rounded outer shoulders. it sure is noisy in OD. a veteran club member said this was always the case with warfords. i just want to know if i were to find a perfect gear set maybe the howl would be less so i could have an easy conversation with a passenger. any ideas, photos apprciated. thank you. kevin
Jeff Brown
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: warford 2023 counter gear cluster

Post by Jeff Brown »

Kevin,
This is what mine looked like when I first opened it up. The gears look fairly original without too much wear - not sure if this helps?
DSCF2013e.jpg
DSCF2013e.jpg (628.28 KiB) Viewed 4422 times
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

middle gear in view bottom of photo shows rounding on shoulders. this is how mine was. bud valerius said even new warfords had quite a howl to them. he compared a NOS one to one in good condition and he said they sounded the same. so... will have to wait and see what yours sounds like. thank you, kevin
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

You may try searching for an "additive" to put in the oil to 'lessen' the noise. Something like a " 3M micro spheres". Something that will cushion the gears..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

searched this term? didn't find one specifically for transmissions or gears. do you know of a link? thank you, kevin
1wonton
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1wonton »

No, new Warfords did not "make noise". The reason that most Warford transmissions are noisy is because the gear faces wear over the years. Replacing the bearings will usually quiet them some but to get the transmission back to original quiet sound you have to hard-chrome the gear faces back to spec. As the gears wear the clearance between the meshing gears increases as they wear, causing slap. My Warford is quiet and will push the truck at 55 all day long with no noise.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

"to get the transmission back to original quiet sound you have to hard-chrome the gear faces back to spec."
1oneton,
Perhaps you could share where you had this work done? Thickness of chroming needed ETC.