H & H Model A engine?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

H & H Model A engine?

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

I recently Purchased an 'A' Engine built by H & H engines Cheap. The engine had around 7,000 miles, second owner. It had a crack from the #2 exhaust valve to the cylinder sleeve. I could live with that bu when I started to clean the top of the block I found that the engine was cracked from 1/2" from the distributor hole straight across the block to the stud hole next to the engine # pad. OH that was crappy welded up and ground down with a hole drilled 1/2 " from the distributor hole and welded up. This block is so crappy I would not use it for a bout anchor. I'm not going to say any more now. I have plenty more to say about it With pictures If There is any one interested in this. There are 6 or 7 other things WRONG with it. I will never buy a H & H engine :( Shelby, Sacramento
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Re: H & H Model A engine?

Post by Chris Haynes »

H&H = Hatchet & Hammer.
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Well, slow response. I'll tell some of the problems that I found so for And engine that I would not put in a parts car or truck. To start the rear main WAS NOT straight line bored with other 2 mains. The inserts should be lined straight with the crank, right!, like this symbol ' l ' in stead it like ' / ' The bearing ( 2 piece ) main has heavy wear on the left side angling to the right of the rear half of the bearing. On the front half of the same rear bearing has scarring from the center to up the right side. ( picture would explain better). It's not a warped crank because the wear would be constant all the way around the rear bearing. NEXT 2 of the 4 cylinder sleeves were spot welded to the block in 3 places each. All of the bearings both main and rod bearings has very much uneven wear scoring. The piston ring were lined up on one side of the piston, leaving a ring score on 1 side of the cylinder. The engine has about 7,000 miles on it
The original owner could not get it to run right, then he sold it to a friend he could not get it to run right either, would not idle right, but run better on the road. He never liked it either, so he replaced it. I acquired it from him. Will disassembling it I had a problem getting the distributor-oil pump drive out of the block. I had to remove the oil pump drive gear sleeve to remove it The oil pump drive gear pin had shared letting the drive gear shift down changing the timing, Wear on the top of the oil pump drive gear told the store, Shelby, Sacramento
Last edited by SHELBY MESSER on January 25th, 2019, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Hey Shelby, Will I see you Saturday morning?
davedd
Body Type: aa
Model Year: 1928

Post by davedd »

H & H MOTO ANY BLOCK CAN BE SAVED, (WRONG!)
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

I am scrapping the engine block because of cracks and other problems. The rear main is line bored at an angle. The thrust bearing was moved to the center main. A problem I see with that is they only put the thrust bearing only on the main cap, none on the block. The engine block I'm using has Babbitt mains which I will have repoured. And again the thrust bearing will be back at the rear main bearing. The H & H engine had modern valves which I'm not going to use. I'm going with the original valves, they look perfect after 88 years of service. One other thing I'm adding an oil filter,its the one on the timing gear cover, going to use Shell rotella 15-40 oil, one of the best oils on the market. I'm wondering if there is anything I need to do to the oil system to do this, if so, please let me know. Pictures later :D Shelby, Sacramento
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

I bet your computer can fix it !!!!
KVO
Dec. '28 AA