Finally acquired my '31 AA!

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
rrich1
Model Year: 1931

Finally acquired my '31 AA!

Post by rrich1 »

Hi, 

I have been lurking for a few weeks trying to learn as much as I can. I recently purchased my grandfather's '31 AA. He purchased it very early 80's and he sold it in '11 when alzheimer's started to set in. Well yesterday I was able to purchase it back. Growing up, I'm 33, we would take it to Walcott Iowa every year for the Trucker's Jamboree truck show. I have a lot of great memories tagging along and setting the truck and tent up, talking with people, and enjoying the antique trucks.  My dream for this truck is to get it back up and running, preserve the looks as much as possible, and fix what is needed as time and funds allow. It will be my toy for the next several decades. 

The cab is dark green with black fenders and radiator. Unfortunately with his alzheimer's I am unable to ask him any questions about it. The engine block number, A1551291, doesn't match what is on the title and from what I have looked up the engine looks to have been produced sometime in 1929. So I don't think it is the original engine. Even so the "vin" on the title is nowhere to be found on the truck as far as I can find. So I am trying to figure that out.

I believe the truck is a stake bed, possibly a 187-A but I am not positive. The wheel base is 131". The bed has all enclosed sides so I do not believe it is original. The rear has a sliding gate that goes up. I

From what I have been told is that it hasn't been ran in over a year and last needed a rolling start to get it started. Thoughts on what that might be? 

Any info from the pics you might have is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!,
​​​​​​​Ryan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by rrich1 on January 26th, 2019, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flatford39
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Re: Finally acquired my '31 AA!

Post by flatford39 »

That may be a grain box on the back of your truck. The motor is from a car as AA's started with an AA stamped on the engine. Your serial number is stamped on the frame rail under the drivers side cowl. Also I am going to curious how Illinois accepts your title transfer. They voided out a bunch of pre 48 cars and trucks a number of years ago because of all the title swapping that was going on.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

location of number on frame.

Bob
Engine-ID-on-Frame.jpg
Engine-ID-on-Frame.jpg (67.59 KiB) Viewed 7587 times
flatford39
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Post by flatford39 »

I just noticed that old GE refrigerator next to the newer one with a sign on it. I have one just like it and it's still working. I keep my beer in it. The blue light still works when you open the door. Can't beat R-12 for coldness.
rrich1

Post by rrich1 »

flatford39 wrote:That may be a grain box on the back of your truck. The motor is from a car as AA's started with an AA stamped on the engine. Your serial number is stamped on the frame rail under the drivers side cowl. Also I am going to curious how Illinois accepts your title transfer. They voided out a bunch of pre 48 cars and trucks a number of years ago because of all the title swapping that was going on.
I am interested as well about the title. Posting on another forum someone me the car number should be over 4.4 mil. Without the title in my hand I believe the title says the Id number was a 6 digit number with 4 being the first number. This leads me to believe the number is near correct but missing a digit somewhere. I was wanting to title it prior to having it get here but now am unsure.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

AAholic
Body Type: 82-B

Post by AAholic »

From what I have been told is that it hasn't been ran in over a year and last needed a rolling start to get it started. Thoughts on what that might be?

Any info from the pics you might have is greatly appreciated.
Ryan, Great looking truck you've got there! and to think it was your grandfather's, how cool it that? A rolling start sounds to me like a push start, not necessary if you've got a good battery unless maybe you're trying to uncease some pistons if it won't turn over (probably a bad idea).

I've been told it's a good idea to pour a quart of oil down the distributor shaft hole (after removing the distributor sometime a difficult task) if the engine's been sitting a while, theory goes that the oil will drain down to the main bearings asap when you turn it over.

The bed does not look like an original AA ford produced bed, let me know if you are interested in an original ford stake body (bed) for a short wheel base, I'm located in the state of Illinois.
JQ
Attachments
BED.jpg
BED.jpg (20.39 KiB) Viewed 7558 times
cokefirst
Body Type: stake

Post by cokefirst »

I removed my cab for painting and found my VIN number on the frame rail exactly where it is listed above. The problem is that my truck was a rusty wreck when I bought it. I had it restored and it was titled under the engine number that was not even a Ford number. After 30+ years, the cab needed painting again and it is not easy to paint these on the frame. I removed the cab and found the original vin. I had the VIN experts from the CHP verify this VIN and I am getting it re-titled under the correct VIN. This is important to me, as I had the engine replaced so there was nothing on the truck with the numbers it was registered under. If you truck was not left out to rust, you may be able to see the number by lifting the cab about 6 inches and use a mirror. You will have to remove the splash aprons and running boards also.
garagekulture13
Model Year: 1930

Post by garagekulture13 »

Congrats on the purchase. I'm glad you was able to buy it back. I'm also 33 and got my first AA last year. You said the truck ran a year ago. I'm sure it will run again with a little tinkering. It is a beautiful truck. Keep us posted on the progress. I'm sure any questions can be answered here or on the Ford Barn.

AAholic how much are you asking on your bed?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

rrich1

Post by rrich1 »

garagekulture13 wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 3:44 am
Congrats on the purchase. I'm glad you was able to buy it back. I'm also 33 and got my first AA last year. You said the truck ran a year ago. I'm sure it will run again with a little tinkering. It is a beautiful truck. Keep us posted on the progress. I'm sure any questions can be answered here or on the Ford Barn.

AAholic how much are you asking on your bed?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
thanks.

I am still trying to get the truck down to me. Trying to find a time that works for both of us has been irritating at best. We have family pictures next month and hoping to get it before then so it can be used in the pics. We shall see.
rrich1

Post by rrich1 »

Well I was hoping to get the truck today but it didn't happen. I am going to try and get it next Tuesday. Hopefully it pans out.

On the plus side, I was flipping through the AA supplement guide (first chance to really dig through it since I got it) and to my surprise my (grandpa's) truck is on page 77. ImageImageImage

rrich1

Post by rrich1 »

Well yesterday I was able to go get my truck. The weather overall was good. Hit a thunderstorm on the way home. My f150 pulled the AA like a champ and was my first time hauling anything.

We we're unable to get the truck to run. I plan to clean the points, install new plugs and a coil today before work. I have a new oil pan gasket waiting to go on as well.

I will get some better pics when it is daylight out. There appear to be a few different oil leaks that I want to address. Overall I couldn't be happier and the kids love it for the 10 min they got to check it out before it was too dark. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

Glad you got it home. Looks like there is an issue with the wishbone ball socked.

Bob
A3440S-7300-xl.jpg
A3440S-7300-xl.jpg (67.68 KiB) Viewed 6783 times
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

Glad you got it home. Looks like a nice truck. When trying to get it to run do only one thing at a time to it. That way you know for sure what fixed it.
Your trailer is the same as mine except for the your attached ramps. Mine are separate and slip in under the bed at the rear. I have an F150 too and it seems to be a good combo as mine pulls my AA nicely too. The only trouble is the hold down locations just aren't in the right spots to secure an AA easily.
I made some modifications to mine that I can share with you that you might want to consider. Send me a p.m. if you do and I can send some pictures of what I did.
------------
Dave