Best Tire size for '31 AA LWB duals

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
35mike
Body Type: Fire truck chassis
Model Year: 1928

Best Tire size for '31 AA LWB duals

Post by 35mike »

I am trying to help a guy decide between 6.00 and 6.50 tires for his truck as described above. I found reference to 6.50 being available in '31 but I am wondering if a wider rim was recommended for this tire.
The wheels are stamped BUDD WHEEL... they have a number which is not a Ford part number, and, what appears to be, a date code, most of which are 11-31. Was Ford still producing AA trucks at a time when a wheel produced in November of 1931 could have been installed at the factory? The spare wheel I found for him is coded ?-34 but appears to be the same width and offset as the 6 originals
I neglected to measure the rim width, but I can check tomorrow. I am pushing him toward the 6.50. Am I wrong?

Mike
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Best Tire size for '31 AA LWB duals

Post by Neil Wilson »

35mike wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 7:36 pm
I am trying to help a guy decide between 6.00 and 6.50 tires for his truck as described above. I found reference to 6.50 being available in '31 but I am wondering if a wider rim was recommended for this tire.
The wheels are stamped BUDD WHEEL... they have a number which is not a Ford part number, and, what appears to be, a date code, most of which are 11-31. Was Ford still producing AA trucks at a time when a wheel produced in November of 1931 could have been installed at the factory? The spare wheel I found for him is coded ?-34 but appears to be the same width and offset as the 6 originals
I neglected to measure the rim width, but I can check tomorrow. I am pushing him toward the 6.50. Am I wrong? Mike
The Ford supplied wheel for 11/31 AA's was AA-1015-C design 4 (Budd part C-23596). All 1930/1931 AA wheels were supplied by Budd. There was no other option and I don't think there is any option for different offset wheels in today's market. The design 4 wheel was used into 1933 for the Ford trucks. The 6:00x20 tire was supplied originally by Ford. A larger tire will reduce dual tire spacing which may/may-not be a problem. More details at https://aafords.com/aa-chassis/aa-1000-wheels/
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

You also have to be careful with oversize front tires as they can rub the brake rods in a turn.

Bob
35mike
Body Type: Fire truck chassis
Model Year: 1928

Post by 35mike »

The subject wheels are C23597s. I have some old wheel catalogs at my old shop. I will see what I can learn from them.
Maybe the greater lesson here is that he's not going anywhere so what difference does it make what size his tires are. I just like the looks of the bigger tire. Thanks everyone.

Mike
cokefirst
Body Type: stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by cokefirst »

I bought the 650 x 20s for my truck and I am regretting it. I had to put a spacer on the Budd nuts in the rear to give me enough distance to keep the rear tires from touching. I have no problem with the brake rods, but I wish I had purchased the 600 x 20 tires. I can fix this when I replace the tires in 30 years, I will be 101........