AA parts UK england

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
erwin
Model Year: 1930

AA parts UK england

Post by erwin »

Hi Guys
I recently placed an ad stating I was searching a Warford overdrive for my '29.
I was contacted by a guy in the UK, who wanted to sell one to me. It should be taken out of a running truck. I agreed to buy the whole truck, but he wants an advance trough Western Union?? No bank account, no phone number, only an e-mail adress....
Should I trust this or did anyone else had the same experience??
Is anyone else been contacted for parts out of the UK?
Please remarks at v.erwin@belgacom.net

Erwin.
KingGeorge

Post by KingGeorge »

I would want to see pictures, have a physical address (not a box number), and talk on the phone before I sent any money. It is always good if they can send pictures with the truck in different locations. That is at least an indication that they probably really have the truck instead of just having access to it on one occasion.

In the end, you have to have some trust in the person. A phone call almost always will help make the decision.
erwin

Post by erwin »

george,

I know I got to have some faith, but I already asked 3 times for an adress en phone. No reply, Always a demand for a advance payment.
The guy has sent me some pictures, but all in the same place. No reference to an adress.
+ he is selling the truck for a very, very low price.

I told him I would come over to collect the truck and pay in full, and now I'm waiting for an answer.

Will keep you posted.
Erwin.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hmm! No phone number and no address. Sounds like a scam to me. I know a club member in England. If you want I could e-mail him to see if he can check it out. But, without a phone number, he would be limited to sending the seller an e-mail.

Is the price (after shipping) going to be worth the cost? Sounds like lots of trouble to get a Warford (which may or may not have good gears).

Just some thoughts.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by erwin »

Just had a mail. I'm to pick up the truck next week. Will keep you posted.
( by the way :Antwerp - UK is trough the Chunnel tunnel only 130 miles so it's worth the effort.)
Erwin
erwin

INTERNET FRAUDE

Post by erwin »

Follow up : PARTS UK
I found out the guy who wanted me to buy his truck is a Nigerian internet-con! He, nor his "shipping agent " want to give me a phone number or a traceable adress or firm name. I found his name " FELIX MATHINS " or FELIX MARTINS " on several crime sites;
He offered me a complete and running 1929 dump truck for 1.500$
( together with warford overdrive and PTO !) He even sent me pictures of the truck. The location of the pictures, the fact that a guy in England wanted to be payed in euro's instead of British pounds, the untracebility of any adress or phone AND THE URGENT REQUEST FOR DOWNPAYMENTS TROUGH WESTERN UNION made me suspicious.
BE WARNED // THE INTERNET FRAUDE IS EVERYWHERE !!!! EVEN THE FORUM IS NOT SAFE SINCE THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE I PLACED AN ADD FOR A WARFORD......

ERWIN.
mikeg
Site Admin
Body Type: 150B

Re: INTERNET FRAUDE

Post by mikeg »

erwin wrote: BE WARNED // THE INTERNET FRAUDE IS EVERYWHERE !!!! EVEN THE FORUM IS NOT SAFE SINCE THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE I PLACED AN ADD FOR A WARFORD......
ERWIN.
Yeah I have seen that happen too, and I've been contacted by the same as well.

I don't recall seeing a wanted ad on here for warford parts though, perhaps it was another forum? In any case, if it sounds too good to be true, sometimes it is!
erwin

AA parts UK follow up

Post by erwin »

Just found out the pictures in the original mail came off the internet.
Our UK friend Mr FeliX Mathins ( or Martins or alias Smith or Jones...) used the pics of a 1929 dumper belonging to mr Paul Williamson of Massachussetts. They came out of the OldCarTrader.com site....
I informed the real owner of the scam....

I'm glad I didn't send any money..

Erwin.