New find - Tow truck

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
John - NNY
Model Year: 1930

New find - Tow truck

Post by John - NNY »

I found a Model AA tow truck in the weeds. I bought it for $300. After cleaning it up and doing some research, I found that most of it is from a 30-31 AA. The engine and what is left of the cab is from an earlier AA (s/n AA10025xx). That puts the engine at February 1929. The head is cracked (need a new Brumfield). The pistons are corroded into the cylinder walls.

The hoist assembly is from a Holmes winch. While the boom assembly is from a weaver. The frame has been cut by about a foot front and back.

I am currently looking for another AA to start a restoration. The truck I have now is not much more than a collection of parts. I've seen the trucks at Rufus Ranch on the web. Very nice, but it is a bit too far to drive. I'm not sure how I want the think to look like when I am done. I prefer the 30-31 duel rear wheels for a tow truck. Is 160" (157") wheelbase too long for a tow truck?

Here is a link to some pictures.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery ... umid=30342

John
NNY
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

This appears to be a boom truck rather than a tow truck. The mast is way to far back to be used for towing. Lots of home made engineering on this one. Most likely done on the farm. Some good parts ond lots of scrap iron.