Need help to Identify Truck

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
RLaurin
Model Year: 1930

Need help to Identify Truck

Post by RLaurin »

I got down to the frame to finally see the Ser. Number. Can anyone tell me anything about the number. Year what it was before it became a dump truck etc. Engine number is also here to see if anyone can give me some info. Two fram numbers were unreadable.

Frame: *AA383??79*
Engine:9604844
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

It was more than likely ordered as a cab and chassis they had the dump installed.
You truck was built in August 1930.
RLaurin

Update

Post by RLaurin »

Thanks for the info. What is confusing about my truck is it has the long splash aprons and running boards. Not installed on a a dump truck from what I am told.
REM

Post by REM »

Like Knuck said the frame # indicates Aug 30 but that is all that can be determined by the number. The original engine would have also had the same number as on the frame.
All U.S built A's and AA's were numbered in sequence beginning in Oct 1927 with number 1 and continuing to number 484???? in early 1932.
Richard
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

AA383??79 is the original engine number for the truck. This is an August 1930 engine. However, your turck was most likely assembled in September or October.

By the end of 1930, Ford had built 215,556 more engines than vehicles. So, there was a two to three month excess of engines.

Normally a cab and chassis would have come with the short boards and aprons. In 1930, the only AA with long board and the 82-B closed cab would have been the express truck. It could be that the express body and rear fenders were replaced with a dump body at some time.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Hayslip »

Another way to tell if a truck had a past life is to count the leaves in the rear spring. If there are 13 it was a panel or an express. Dump trucks and flat bed combinations have 16 leaves. However these trucks were overbuilt and 13 is plenty.
Hayslip