Paint , Powder coat or POR15?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
John - NNY
Model Year: 1930

Paint , Powder coat or POR15?

Post by John - NNY »

What is the prefered method for protecting the frame and undercarrage; Paint, Powdercoat or something like POR15?

What are the pluses and minuses of each?

I would think Powdercoat or POR15 would be more durable. I don't plan on being a 'pure-ist'.

John
NNY
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Henry used enamel.
mikeg
Site Admin
Body Type: 150B

Re: Paint , Powder coat or POR15?

Post by mikeg »

John - NNY wrote:What is the prefered method for protecting the frame and undercarrage; Paint, Powdercoat or something like POR15?

What are the pluses and minuses of each?

I would think Powdercoat or POR15 would be more durable. I don't plan on being a 'pure-ist'.

John
NNY
I used POR15 and it looks great, and is nearly bullet proof! You can spray it if you want a super clean finish. I used a fine hair brush and it looks fine (for my purposes).
Matt Kroll

Post by Matt Kroll »

I powder coated mine, along with most of the other chassis components.

It looks great and it's REALLY tough stuff. The downside is that it is also very hard to remove. That won't be an issue for you though if you make the right decisions regarding color and gloss level. However, when the next guy has to restore it ....

Matt Kroll - WY8R
http://www.smokypond.com/
John - NNY

Post by John - NNY »

WOW Matt. That sure is a thing of beauty. It would make Ol' Henry's day.

I did kinda answer my own question. I I had some sheet metal powder coated recently on my 1948 Ford F-7. The tin was rusted and pitted. The parts came back looking like they had measles. The powder coat works great if the surface is clean and defect free. Otherwise, I would have to POR15, prime, fill and paint.

John
Matt Kroll

Post by Matt Kroll »

Your right on as far as the integrity of the metal prior to powder coat, John.

I was fortunate. My truck spent nearly 60 years harvesting apples. When the harvest was complete, the truck went into the barn or some other out-building. Apparently it never saw the open road. It had absolutely no rust on it. Everyhting on the cab from the doors on forward was perfect. The rear panels of the cab though were pretty much bashed in from fast and furious apple crate handling. It may not have seen the road, but it sure had to carry a heavy load when it was in use. The stake bed had been extended by 16" on both sides so that more apples could be loaded before heading in to unload. Based on Henry's info regarding apple carrying capacity of these trucks (shown on page 81 of the Ford Model AA Truck Owner book), that extra 16" on each side allowed them to carry 5300 lbs. of apples!
Matt Kroll - WY8R
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

Ford painted the rearend after it was assembled. So all of those nuts and bolts should be painted too.
Matt Kroll

Post by Matt Kroll »

Thanks Knuck, but I'm not really shooting for originality with this one. I want it to have what I can only refer to as "that new tractor" look.

You can view most of my "sins" thus far at http://www.smokypond.com/gallery/pictur ... tsisparts/

Not really too sinful though, since the next guy to get it can simply spray over all that plated stuff if he desires.

Matt Kroll - WY8R
Hardhatz
Body Type: Dump
Model Year: 1931

Post by Hardhatz »

I have used a newer product called Rust Bullet with good results. Even better than Wasser MC-Zinc IMHO, and the Wasser is the beloved primer of bridge builders. USN now buys Rust Bullet, so its good enough for me. Comes in black or silver.
A couple words of caution:
1. do not get it on ANYTHING you do not want painted with it. This includes your hands. You will be wearing it for a week.
2. sand for your topcoat within the first 12-18 hours, or you will need a diamond grinder to break the gloss.

I have bought both of the above products from these guys, and their service is just excellent. They will ship.
Annex Paint. 7450 Reseda Blvd., Reseda CA. 91335 (818) 344-3000 - main 818-344 3994 - fax annex@la.twcbc.com. Hours Mon-Fri 8:00am - 5:00pm
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

POR 15 is an excellent product that will encapsulate rust, to the point that the rust will stop, even on very rusty metal. So if one is sandblasting something really rusty, it is not necessary to be absolutely sure that every single dark speck is gone. POR 15 will not allow rust to continue growing.

Be careful not to leave it in the sunlight, after applying it, as the ultra violet will quickly dull the finish and will leave a chalky haze on all the UV exposed surfaces. Coat the POR 15 with a decent top color coat to keep it from becoming chalky. The directions on the can confirm this. I confirmed it the old fashioned way.
maacobob
Body Type: popcorn trk
Model Year: 1928

Post by maacobob »

hey

no dout that looks great.

do you have any more sins you would like to confess.

ur photos look cool got any more

thanks bob
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

I don't know about 'Rust Bullet' but for Por -15 if you get it on your hands and it dries, It is easy to get it off your hands. Your wife or girl friend may have the solution. Get some 'Avon' Skin So Soft and rub on you will be surprised at at how tough Por 15 really is. POR 15 is really a good product for rust control. DO NOT SPRAY IT ON IT IS VERY HARMFULL TO BREATH THE VAPORS. Hope this helps you guys. Happy 'AA'ing Shelby
Chris Haynes

Re:

Post by Chris Haynes »

John - NNY wrote:WOW Matt. That sure is a thing of beauty. It would make Ol' Henry's day.

I did kinda answer my own question. I I had some sheet metal powder coated recently on my 1948 Ford F-7. The tin was rusted and pitted. The parts came back looking like they had measles.
John
Now you can use a sander and take the powdercoat down to bare metal. The powdercoat inside the measles will stay and you should get a much better surface with the next powdercoating.
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Fellow chassis painters:

Everybody has their own idea of what a rebuilt and/or restoration is. If you're restoring to as close to the original as possible, I suggest that you review time period photos of the chassis's. They weren't pristine. They had depressions in the metal, paint sags, etc. Though, they did shine!

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

I bet they had some chain marks on them too.