1931 AA

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Mcammo
Body Type: Closed cab
Model Year: 1931

1931 AA

Post by Mcammo »

I just purchased a 31’ AA it was restored several years ago it has not been driven in 2 years. I have the starting and shut down procedures. Was wondering if it’s ok to run anti freeze in cooling system or not. I’m guessing it is but wanted to make sure. Also is unleaded regular gas ok with ethanol in it ok to use.

Also the owner of the truck said it tends to vapor lock sometimes and I’m wondering if there is a cause for this and what to do to fix it if it happens
Thanks

Jack
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: 1931 AA

Post by 1crosscut »

Hi Jack. In my opinion it is best to run a modern coolant/antifreeze in a Model AA and Model A. Modern coolants have additives that prevent rust in the block that will cause the radiator to plug and overheat the engine. Also you will not have to worry about freezing temperatures and damage to your engine.
Lots of different opinions on running fuel with ethanol. Ethanol can attract moisture and if you don't drive very often that can be a problem. I drive my AA quite often so that is not an issue for me and I run it regularly.
Unleaded fuel is perfectly fine to use. Lead was added to fuel long after Model A's were being made. Only after it became apparent what a problem having lead added to fuel was they removed it and the term "unleaded" came into play.
Use the lowest octane rating available. High octane fuels are for high compression engines. It is more difficult to burn and thus prevents pre-ignition.
You will get better performance out of low octane fuel as the Model A engine is considered to be a fairly low compression engine.
Change oil, get it running and we can tackle the "vapor lock" after that if it is a problem.
------------
Dave
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Re: 1931 AA

Post by KimVanOrder »

What he said... Use antifreeze, Cheapest gas you can find, Vapor lock is from too much heat. I have an aftermarket heat shield for the dist. but that shouldn't make any difference.. Try getting good air flow past carb, and if possible insulate between block and carb. Just a thin sheet of metal should block the heat. Heat can also travel through the castings. Big thick gasket may help..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA