Door panel fasteners

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Jeff Brown
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Door panel fasteners

Post by Jeff Brown »

Hi,
Would anyone know of a source for the female door panel fasteners that mount in the door like in the pic below. I need about 25 of them but haven't been able to locate anyone that sells them.
20190805_200520.jpg
20190805_200520.jpg (300.08 KiB) Viewed 8787 times
Thanks

Jeff
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Door panel fasteners

Post by Neil Wilson »

Jeff Brown wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 9:00 pm
Hi,
Would anyone know of a source for the female door panel fasteners that mount in the door like in the pic below. I need about 25 of them but haven't been able to locate anyone that sells them.20190805_200520.jpg

Thanks Jeff
Jeff, I don't know of any of these brass sockets being made. I remember seeing some plastic sockets with some vendor kit. However, the heads were too thick and could be seen from the side when looking at the lock edge of the door.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Jeff Brown »

Thanks Neil, not sure what the solution is. The wire clips are too loose if you just push them into the holes. The only thing I can think off is to turn some brass inserts to reduce the hole diameter so the clips are tighter when they go in but there will be some trial and error to get the correct size.

Jeff
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

I user the plastic ones and sanded the heads down thinner. Felt tip pen them for dark color so you can't notice them..
Have fun...
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown »

Hi Kim,

Do the plastic ones hold OK? Where did you get them from?

Thanks

Jeff
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Jeff Brown wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 12:42 pm
Thanks Neil, not sure what the solution is. The wire clips are too loose if you just push them into the holes. The only thing I can think off is to turn some brass inserts to reduce the hole diameter so the clips are tighter when they go in but there will be some trial and error to get the correct size.

Jeff
Jeff, FYI - (no wire clips used) The sockets were used with ring shank nails. The nails were installed on the outside of the cardboard panels. As far as I know, the sockets and nails are not available except via donor doors. The same sockets/nails were used for the door bottom (cardboard panel over large diameter windlace). Also, used for the door fronts (cardboard panel over small diameter windlace)
Attachments
Upholstery Mounting Hardware 1 960px.jpg
Upholstery Mounting Hardware 1 960px.jpg (637.04 KiB) Viewed 8729 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by KimVanOrder »

Jeff Brown wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 4:06 pm
Hi Kim,

Do the plastic ones hold OK? Where did you get them from?

Thanks

Jeff
I get ll my parts from Snyders. As far as do they hold ok? Well my door panels are still on! If you are real concerned with them holding, Add a bit of E-6000 adhesive. I use it all the time. Available at many hardware and craft stores.. It also removes quite well. It dosen't get rock hard, stays a bit "rubbery".
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown »

Thanks Kim, do you use the ringed nails like in the photo above, or the wire clips that come with the panels. I am wondering whether to take the wire clips off and replace with the nails and sockets from Snyders as per original.

Jeff
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

Jeff Brown wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 3:51 pm
Thanks Kim, do you use the ringed nails like in the photo above, or the wire clips that come with the panels. I am wondering whether to take the wire clips off and replace with the nails and sockets from Snyders as per original.

Jeff
Go original. May as well get it back to as it came out of the factory. Then $ differrence is not much, so go original.. Your kids may just get a bit more for it when they sell it. :lol:
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown »

Thanks Kim, yes I was kind of leaning in that direction!

Jeff
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Jeff Brown wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 3:51 pm
Thanks Kim, do you use the ringed nails like in the photo above, or the wire clips that come with the panels. I am wondering whether to take the wire clips off and replace with the nails and sockets from Snyders as per original. Jeff
Jeff, Please provide a photo of the wire clips you reference. Also, where did you get your panels from? Please provide the link to the Snyder's nails and sockets you reference. I searched "upholstery" but didn't find then.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Jeff Brown »

Hi Neil,

I will post a clip photo when I get home tonight. My panels came from Cartouche, they were the only place I could find that did the 28/29 doors. The Snyder part number for the nails and sockets is A 46126-R. Photo from their website is below:
A_46126_R.jpg
A_46126_R.jpg (10.24 KiB) Viewed 8649 times
Jeff
Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown »

I forgot to mention they are $1 each so not cheap, and you cannot buy the nails separately - I asked!

Jeff
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

Jeff Brown wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 10:25 am
I forgot to mention they are $1 each so not cheap, and you cannot buy the nails separately - I asked!

Jeff
Jeff: I ordered my '28 interior panels from Snyders, who then got them from LeBaron Bonney. Did you ask Snyders for those pins? Seems i remember orderring them from them, Or LeBaron Bonney..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown »

Yes, it was Snyders who said they only sold them as a set. I asked Snyders if they sold the door panels and they told me no!?

Jeff