New project, need advice

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
David R.
Body Type: Chassis
Model Year: 1930

New project, need advice

Post by David R. »

Where do I begin? (Never done a restoration before)
Just got this truck and not really sure where to begin. It looks like it has a an old huckster body kit that was never assembled. After oiling top cylinders yesterday I tried last night and engine is free.
I bought this truck sight unseen (very reasonable) and had it delivered while I was on vacation. My initial walk around reveals broken right rear main spring leaf and a welded shackle bracket. No complete steering gear. Working on making space in the garage. Not sure where to start?
Leaning on beginning with engine. Should I try and start it? Looks like motor mounts need fixed, maybe go ahead and pull engine and go through it? Any advice?
Unfortunately I don’t have an unlimited budget so it is a pay as I go project.
Attachments
21CF259A-B4D5-4D71-8262-9255A41A9FC4.jpeg
21CF259A-B4D5-4D71-8262-9255A41A9FC4.jpeg (554.5 KiB) Viewed 4791 times
Hayslip

Re: New project, need advice

Post by Hayslip »

You don't have to give your address; you should put the state you live in your profile. USA is a big country. Next JOIN the AA Ford Club which is linked to this forum. It's 9 bucks, a great investment. Join a Model A Club in your area and meet some Model A people. They may not be into AAs, but can give you help with engine etc. Get a parts catalogue from TAM or Snyders and get a general idea what is available. DON'T totally disassemble it down to the last cotter pin; you'll never get it back together; there are many Model As in kit form where the owner gave up. The reason the main leaf broke on the rear spring I suggest someone tightened the top pivot nut. This needs to rotate slightly; that's why there is a grease fitting. You made a great choice of the AA Ford. These were/are easy to work on overbuilt, handle well, good looking and you'll make some friends along the restoration way. Best, Ed
Hayslip
David R.
Body Type: Chassis

Post by David R. »

Thanks Ed. I updated my profile. How do I join the linked club? I have Snyders catalog and have ordered a couple others. I’m not sure if there is a local club. I believe there is a pretty active one north of me.
I have been reading everything I can find on As and AAs on the internet and have ordered Les Andrews mechanic’s manual.
I don’t plan on a ‘frame off’ nut and bolt restoration, or a show stopper, but would like to get everything mechanically sound for a dependable driver. I have wanted one of these since I was about 8 years old.
flatford39
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Post by flatford39 »

Nice little project and you are going about it the right way in my mind. get what you going and stopping safely and then start building what you want. I saw your other post about steering gears and the first thing I would would be to buy a complete steering column with wheel etc and install it so you can at least move the thing around.

After that get the engine running and then concentrate on the brakes. The cowl you have is a commercial cowl from Ford that they put on their trucks and the eventual owner would have a coach builder build the rest. Yours could have been a USPS mail truck even as they came like yours and then the body built later.

If you have the motor spinning freely don't be afraid to try to start it. Ask questions here and you will get a lot of help.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Try starting the engine. No sense removing it if it is a running engine.
1930artdeco
Body Type: n/a

Post by 1930artdeco »

The nice thing about the A and AA as they are fairly similar-the AA is just beefier. Might drop the pan first and clean out any sludge and flush the rad to make sure it is clean.

Mike