AA under drive

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Matt
Body Type: 76-A
Model Year: 1929

AA under drive

Post by Matt »

I changed the oil in the under drive and tiny specs of brass filled the old oil, the oil was 1 yr old, just wanted to see if everything was ok, why is this?

Matt
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Re: AA under drive

Post by KimVanOrder »

Matt wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 3:15 pm
I changed the oil in the under drive and tiny specs of brass filled the old oil, the oil was 1 yr old, just wanted to see if everything was ok, why is this?

Matt
Well , What is in there that is made of Brass? The bushings is all I can think of. So I would think one is shot. :cry:
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

Matt,

Not all modern gear oils are compatible with yellow metals used in older gearboxes and worm-drives. Many Model A parts supplies sell what they label as 600W which may be OK for the cars, but you have to make sure what they are selling you will not harm the brass and bronze in your trucks gearboxes. Many modern automotive type gear oils will not work, but there are industrial gear oils that are still available though. Get the oil specs from your supplier and make sure they are compatible with yellow metals.

Keith
Matt
Body Type: 76-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by Matt »

Thanks Keith I will.