Warford Packing

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Warford Packing

Post by 1crosscut »

I've been working on my Warford and would like some input on the packing.

On the parts list it shows two pieces of packing (#2048) specified for the rear support (#2044).
In an earlier post viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6078&hilit=warford+transmission AAholic posted where he used a flax type packing and Jeff used a large rubber o-ring placed on the outside of the rear support behind the splines. Perhaps I'm off base but it seems to me that perhaps the packing could have instead been meant to be placed inside the rear support and packed around the main drive gear shaft (#2033).
There are spiral grooves milled inside the rear support where I think the packing could go. Would the spiral grooves aid in holding the packing in place?
Or maybe one piece went on the outside and one went on the inside.?
If no packing is used inside the rear support around the shaft I would think it would leak quite a bit.

Also AAholic put a modern seal into the main gear housing cup (#2042) on the input side of the transmission a little over a year ago. How is that working for you? Do you have any of the the flax packing left over?
Attachments
Parts List,WARFORD.jpg
Parts List,WARFORD.jpg (971.03 KiB) Viewed 4225 times
Flax Packing.jpg
Flax Packing.jpg (90.62 KiB) Viewed 4225 times
O-Ring.jpg
O-Ring.jpg (221.28 KiB) Viewed 4225 times
spiral grooves.jpg
spiral grooves.jpg (616.06 KiB) Viewed 4225 times
Modern Seal.jpg
Modern Seal.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 4225 times
------------
Dave
AAholic
Body Type: 82-B
Model Year: 1931

Re: Warford Packing

Post by AAholic »

1crosscut wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 6:56 pm
I've been working on my Warford and would like some input on the packing.

On the parts list it shows two pieces of packing (#2048) specified for the rear support (#2044).
In an earlier post viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6078&hilit=warford+transmission AAholic posted where he used a flax type packing and Jeff used a large rubber o-ring placed on the outside of the rear support behind the splines. Perhaps I'm off base but it seems to me that perhaps the packing could have instead been meant to be placed inside the rear support and packed around the main drive gear shaft (#2033).
There are spiral grooves milled inside the rear support where I think the packing could go. Would the spiral grooves aid in holding the packing in place?
Or maybe one piece went on the outside and one went on the inside.?
If no packing is used inside the rear support around the shaft I would think it would leak quite a bit.

Also AAholic put a modern seal into the main gear housing cup (#2042) on the input side of the transmission a little over a year ago. How is that working for you? Do you have any of the the flax packing left over?
If no packing is used inside the rear support it will not leak as it is not a seal (to the best of my knowledge) having omitted it the first time I installed a warford I can tell you that unit clunked around and (the housing) wanted to rotate in the frame, after installation of the packing it no longer clanks or tries to rotate.

The modern seal is still working after having put some hundreds of miles on it with no more transfer/leakage of gear oil into the 4 speed.

I do have some of that packing left over if you want it.
AAholic

Post by AAholic »

How do you like the new PA system?
Attachments
IMG_7665.JPG
IMG_7665.JPG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 4181 times
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

Love the new PA system!

I'll send you a p.m. on the packing.

Have you had any issues with oil migrating out the rear of the Warford?
------------
Dave
AAholic

Post by AAholic »

Very little oil gets out the rear or anywhere else.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

Bitchen PA System!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :mrgreen:
KVO
Dec. '28 AA