Front spring perch question

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Cschaff63
Body Type: Dump
Model Year: 1928

Front spring perch question

Post by Cschaff63 »

Can anybody tell me if the front spring perch on an E30 is the same as a regular model A, I’m sure there are not because the springs are wider. Also, is there any company selling repos of these, I think mine are worn as there is play in front axle
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Front spring perch question

Post by Neil Wilson »

Cschaff63 wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 5:22 am
Can anybody tell me if the front spring perch on an E30 is the same as a regular model A, I’m sure there are not because the springs are wider. Also, is there any company selling repos of these, I think mine are worn as there is play in front axle
AA spring perches are not the same as used for the A chassis. I don't believe any AA perches are being reproduced.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Cschaff63 »

Thank you Neil for the response. I think I just found my problem, I thought I was getting slip in the spring perch where goes through the axle, but it was back at the ball under the tranny! But On the same subject, are there bushings in the front axle and wish bone where they all come together at spring perch?
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Cschaff63 wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 10:20 am
Thank you Neil for the response. I think I just found my problem, I thought I was getting slip in the spring perch where goes through the axle, but it was back at the ball under the tranny! But On the same subject, are there bushings in the front axle and wish bone where they all come together at spring perch?
The front radius rod ball sock (i.e. wish bone) does not have any bushing.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Express

Post by flatford39 »

A "farmer fix" for an out of round wishbone ball was to put a big flat washer in there to tighten things up. It does work.
David R.
Body Type: Chassis

Post by David R. »

74FF44F7-21F0-4F7A-BEB5-3FAAE0B3934B.jpeg
74FF44F7-21F0-4F7A-BEB5-3FAAE0B3934B.jpeg (673.93 KiB) Viewed 4112 times

If I understand you correctly you were talking about wear on the shaft of the perch that drops through the wishbone yoke to tie it to axle on either side? Mine has a little wear here also I was thinking about addressing in some manner. Not sure how yet or even if it’s necessary. I will need to fix a little egging of spring bushing holes on perch. I have 2 spares, so I think I will experiment with repairing worst ones first.
I found my front axle was terribly bent; but managed to find another in good shape.
Cschaff63

Post by Cschaff63 »

David R. wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 6:43 am
74FF44F7-21F0-4F7A-BEB5-3FAAE0B3934B.jpeg

If I understand you correctly you were talking about wear on the shaft of the perch that drops through the wishbone yoke to tie it to axle on either side? Mine has a little wear here also I was thinking about addressing in some manner. Not sure how yet or even if it’s necessary. I will need to fix a little egging of spring bushing holes on perch. I have 2 spares, so I think I will experiment with repairing worst ones first.
I found my front axle was terribly bent; but managed to find another in good shape.
Yes, that is what I was asking about, did not know if there are bushings in the axle
David R.
Body Type: Chassis

Post by David R. »

I don’t think there is. I have an axle torn down to bare I beam. I need to look at it.