FAQ for AA dummies?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Re: FAQ for AA dummies?

Post by KimVanOrder »

My garage floor is dry. Is it leaking or is it that the grease is separating and dripping? There is no magic here, just start sealing up the leaking spots the way they should be..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Cschaff63
Body Type: Dump
Model Year: 1928

Post by Cschaff63 »

I guess when the old timers said” if it ain’t leaking, it must be empty”, they kind of said it all. I did discover that it I use Teflon tape on the transmission drain and fill plugs, at least they don’t drip!
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

Although Ford didn't use any positive seal arrangement in the rear of the engine, it shouldn't leak much there unless their is a problem. A "little" oil did helped lube the radius rod ball under the flywheel housing. If it's dripping a lot of oil something is wrong, either the main bearings have too much wear or the rear crankshaft thrust surfaces are worn letting the crank work front and back flooding the rear sealing arrangement. A blocked oil return pipe or incorrectly installed pipe on the rear main bearing can restrict the oil returning to the pan and force it out the rear of the engine too. I've even found one of these rear bearing oil return pipes with a steel ball in it that was stuck. I was told these were used on grain trucks when they were put on a platform to dump them.

Keith
toshik
Model Year: 1930

Post by toshik »

Thanks for clarification!