More AA Tow truck before pics

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
John - NNY
Model Year: 1930

More AA Tow truck before pics

Post by John - NNY »

I added more pics of my AA Truck to my web page. I hope to have another AA truck withing a few weeks. This one will be 157" WB.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery ... rid=297159

John
NNY
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

I still say that is a boom truck and not a tow truck. The mast on a tow truck does not go that far behind the truck.
John - NNY

Post by John - NNY »

Yes, boom truck would be more accurate. I just used to calling it a tow truck. If I say boom truck, eveyone gets a blank stare and says, "what?"

John
NNY
oldtimetowing

Re: More AA Tow truck before pics

Post by oldtimetowing »

Looks like an interesting project. I would say that you have a tow truck rather than a boom truck. The crane appears to be the frame gear parts from a Holmes 250 and a fair amount of angle iron. The boom itself is from a 3 ton Weaver.
It was/is very common to cut the end of frame off to reduce the overhang behind the rear axle as the further behind the rear axle the load is the lighter the front end gets. With most of the 30's vintage wreckers the tow crane was usually mounted back over the rear axle. They did not use a tow sling but chains and picked the disabled vehicle straight up and then used used either a stand off pipe/bar or a tire to keep it from swinging into the tow truck.