Play in Rear Spring Seat Assembly

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
dlevy
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

Play in Rear Spring Seat Assembly

Post by dlevy »

Hi,

I have a question about the rear spring seat assemblies that the aft end of the rear spring attaches to and then clamps around the differential axle housing.

Both the rear spring seat assemblies and the surface of the axle housing are pretty well worn to the point that there are grooves in the axle housing and when I put the rear spring seat assemblies (AA-5792 or AA-5793) around the axle housing, there is a lot of play; at least a 1/16" of motion in any direction.

Is this acceptable?
Is there a fix for this?
It is not clear to me why there was not a bushing at this location.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
Attachments
Rear Spring Seat on Differential Axle Housing B.jpg
Rear Spring Seat on Differential Axle Housing B.jpg (294.32 KiB) Viewed 7181 times
Rear Spring Seat Assemblies.jpg
Rear Spring Seat Assemblies.jpg (262.63 KiB) Viewed 7181 times
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Play in Rear Spring Seat Assembly

Post by Chris Haynes »

Shows a lack of grease. Keep is greased and you won'r have any problems.
Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

Keep in mind all the weight of the rear of the truck will wear the top clamp and top of the axle. I found a couple better fitting ones but still needed to build a couple areas up with weld and filed down to fit tighter. if there is still excessive play you can file the flats of the clamps down a bit to clamp tighter, but unless you are in the habit of "Getting Air" in your double A, I don't think you'll notice anything once she's down on the axle and wheels.
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

The grooves are part of the design. I believe that they are there to help with the retention/distribution of grease.
------------
Dave
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

dlevy wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 8:53 pm
Hi, Both the rear spring seat assemblies and the surface of the axle housing are pretty well worn to the point that there are grooves in the axle housing and when I put the rear spring seat assemblies (AA-5792 or AA-5793) around the axle housing, there is a lot of play; at least a 1/16" of motion in any direction.

Is this acceptable?
Is there a fix for this?
Dave
FYI - The two parts fit like rods fit to the crankshaft. I have reduced/eliminated the up/down movement of the seat assembly by resurfacing the mating surfaces. I cleaned the axle surface and seats and then tested the up/down movement several times while resurfacing. The seat must rotate forward/backward when bolted together solid. So, too much surface removal would require shims.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Chassis

Post by David R. »

You can learn a lot lurking here on others threads. I haven’t gotten to rear axle yet, but will likely find similar scenario. Have a broken rear spring to deal with also.
AAholic
Body Type: 82-B

Post by AAholic »

Farrell In Vancouver wrote:
February 5th, 2020, 8:38 am
Keep in mind all the weight of the rear of the truck will wear the top clamp and top of the axle. I found a couple better fitting ones but still needed to build a couple areas up with weld and filed down to fit tighter. if there is still excessive play you can file the flats of the clamps down a bit to clamp tighter, but unless you are in the habit of "Getting Air" in your double A, I don't think you'll notice anything once she's down on the axle and wheels.
How's this for "getting air"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB9RC9KIoHo
Attachments
air.jpeg
air.jpeg (61.01 KiB) Viewed 7074 times
dlevy
Body Type: 82B

Post by dlevy »

I don't plan on getting too much air, but I think I will mill down the flats to get a better fit.

It shouldn't be too hard.

Is there a specification for clearance once bolted together tight?

Thanks,
Dave
Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

I think that was one of Dodge's first attempts at building a dirt plow for road building.
LOL