88A flat bed hold down hardware

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Lewisag1
Body Type: 88-A
Model Year: 1928

88A flat bed hold down hardware

Post by Lewisag1 »

I just removed my 88A flat bed this week from my 11-6-1928 AA and assessed the hardware as it was removed. The front bracket AA-8804 L bracket and related hardware was all there. It appears that I’m missing some metal frame spacers (one right rear and both of the 4” spacers). According to the judging standards, the u-bolts are the original forged type to the truck, four of which are the style B that require the metal spacers and one pair style A, which are the longest u-bolts. There is no evidence there was ever a wood frame spacers installed for those long style A u-bolts. Has anyone ever seen an application where the spacer was not used? Or, should it have been installed and left out? Just want to be correct when it all goes back together. Thanks in advance for any insight on my restoration question.
88A bed mounting hardware
88A bed mounting hardware
C69599EB-A0FA-4AC4-8CF9-F900B308365D.jpeg (86.5 KiB) Viewed 3971 times
dlevy
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

Re: 88A flat bed hold down hardware

Post by dlevy »

Hi,
I have the same 88A flat bed with the metal spacers, not wood.
Snyder's sells them if you need them.
Any chance you have an extra short forged u-bolt?
Thanks,
Dave
Lewisag1
Body Type: 88-A
Model Year: 1928

Re: 88A flat bed hold down hardware

Post by Lewisag1 »

Thanks Dave, I do not have any extra u-bolts, just what came with the truck. I am under the assumption that the longest u-bolts that are the style A found in the judging standards and have no round shank provision for a spacer, and since there was no indication that there was ever a wood block spacer in place, that particular u-bolt was installed without a spacer.