U-Joint Question

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
HKDude
Body Type: Platform
Model Year: 1929

U-Joint Question

Post by HKDude »

I was wondering if somebody could give me some tips on what to look for when inspecting the u-joints. I've searched through my materials and various posts and don't see any restoration information. Specifically, I'm wondering about the u-joint between the transmissions (3 speed and dual high). Its the older rivet type with 6 splines on both ends. I want to make sure its in good working order before reassembling the drive train.

I'm pretty confident I'm going to need to replace the rear u-joint that goes between the drive shaft and dual-high. See attached picture... It's riveted and has 6 splines (dual high side) and 10 splines (drive shaft side). If somebody has one they want to sell, please let me know.

Final question, any recommendations on a torque setting for the bolts that attached the transmission bell housing to the flywheel housing? I was thinking around 25 foot pounds. Is there a table or quide to use when in doubt?

Thanks!
Attachments
U-Joint(2).JPG
U-Joint(2).JPG (36.71 KiB) Viewed 3110 times
Matt Kroll
Model Year: 1930

Post by Matt Kroll »

Regarding checking the condition of the u-joints, the one in the picture is shot!

To check one that isn't so visibly worn out, first lubricate the joint with motor oil, then grab both splined ends and twist back and forth. You shouldn't feel any slop between the two halves in the twisting direction (a little side to side play is fine).
Matt Kroll - WY8R
http://www.smokypond.com/
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Note that the front u-joint is the same as used in the Model A.
Regards, Neil Wilson
HKDude
Body Type: Platform
Model Year: 1929

Post by HKDude »

Thanks guys!