Brake drums

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
David R.
Body Type: Chassis
Model Year: 1930

Brake drums

Post by David R. »

I read somewhere that the pressed steel drums for the AA shouldn’t be turned. Is that so? What do you do? Just find the best ones you can an use them as they are?
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Re: Brake drums

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

The pressed steel brake drums were ground true on brake drum grinding machines. I purchased a old truck brake drum grinding machine several years ago and did some AA drums. Unfortunately after the correct size grinding stones were used up, I couldn't find any more that were the right size. Often the steel AA drums I did were egg-shaped and it took some grinding to true them up again. I have found some cast drums with AA parts numbers. I don't know if they were a later replacement cast drum from Ford or if they were introduced in late '31 like ones for the smaller A's were.

Just a note, in the day, Ford offer new drums installed on exchange hubs through the dealers. Grinding drums were a aftermarket alternative of servicing them.

Keith
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

'32/'33 cast iron drums fit.
David R.
Body Type: Chassis

Post by David R. »

Chris Haynes wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 5:52 pm
'32/'33 cast iron drums fit.
Are they any easier to find?
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

David R. wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 11:33 am
[Are they any easier to find?
Actually I come across a lot of '32/'33 stripped trucks that still have the drums on them. All the rodders want is the sheet metal.