DEFINITIVE ANSWER ON YELLOW SAFE GEAR OIL

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

DEFINITIVE ANSWER ON YELLOW SAFE GEAR OIL

Post by birdacre »

I HAVE BEEN GOING BACK AND FORTH FOR YEARS ON THIS ISSUE. I HAVE PURCHASED SPECIAL YELLOW GEAR OIL AS WE HAVE DISCUSSED OVER THE YEARS FROM RESTORATION SUPPLIES. I HAVE HEARD MANY OTHERS SAY THAT THE 600W FROM VARIOUS MODEL A VENDORS IS FINE FOR WORM DRIVE AA. I THINK IT WAS SNYDERS THAT SAID THIS IS USED ON MODEL T'S AND THEY HAVE YELLOW GEARS. QUESTION? DO I RISK THE COST SAVINGS AND GO WITH THE CHEAPER PRODUCT. IT SAYS A QUANTITY RECOMMENDATION ON THE BOTTLE FOR A WORM DRIVE REAR END. WHAT IS THE REAL STORY??? ANYONE HAVE ANY INPUT.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: DEFINITIVE ANSWER ON YELLOW SAFE GEAR OIL

Post by Neil Wilson »

Birdcage,
Look at the 2.5 page "Rear Axle - worm gear lube" article in the 2017 Double A'er. It was a great article with good detail.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: AA express

Post by birdacre »

hey neil, that is what i have acted on. i am just confused by the claims of reputable folks like snyder's that say otherwise. just looking for anyone that has used the cheaper with the same results. hope my membership fee got to you. stay safe, kevin
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

go to your local auto supply shop and get the stuff that says it is good for bronze / yellow metals. The new chemistry is going to be checked out and way safer than old technology.. No magic here, just evolving tech..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA