AA FRONT END LARGE DIAMETER KING PINS

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
BERLIN FORD AA
Body Type: Short Bed
Model Year: 1931

AA FRONT END LARGE DIAMETER KING PINS

Post by BERLIN FORD AA »

I'm looking to learn about the transition from .812 diameters front spindle king pins, bushings and thrust washers to 1.00 diameter. Was that done at a certain date in the AA production or was it dependent on some other factors? These are stamped FORD BB but I'm assuming they were used on the AA as well? I have four good king pins in hand but definitely need to locate 2 Thrust Bearings and possible a set of 4 King Pin bushings. Are there good sources for these components? Any helpful information or links to information sites would be appreciated.
David R.
Body Type: Chassis
Model Year: 1930

Re: AA FRONT END LARGE DIAMETER KING PINS

Post by David R. »

Snyders has the bushings, AA-3109-Q4. Really good quality with the proper spiral grease grooves. (Install in correct position). I found bearings at Grainger that look like proper dimensions. I was going to order them but I had an original set soaking in kerosene and once the petrified grease softened up they looked good. They were roller bearings not ball. I just finished doing this on my truck. I ordered some shims from Rock Auto. They were just a bit over sized but worked out ok. I just got my drag link and tie rods done today and one backing plate on.
Attachments
AAD6B1CD-AB16-42D4-A5E7-BD681136FD7F.png
AAD6B1CD-AB16-42D4-A5E7-BD681136FD7F.png (278.13 KiB) Viewed 5292 times
David R.
Body Type: Chassis
Model Year: 1930

Post by David R. »

I believe the change to the heavier front axle for the AA happened late in ‘29.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

BERLIN FORD AA
Body Type: Short Bed

Post by BERLIN FORD AA »

Thank you David and Bob for your assistance.
I purchased a set of bearings from Grainger and they are a good fit and should work fine. The shell configuration is a bit different from the original and they are a ball instead of a roller bearing. I also purchased the three bearings that were posted on Ebay and will probably use those in my 1930 project truck and use the Grainger bearings to rebuild a Spindle / King Kin spare parts assembly that I have from a parts truck that was from June of 29. So I'm assuming that truck had a front axle replaced with the Heavier BB series at some point of it's life.
SeabeeCM2
Body Type: Closed cab stake
Model Year: 1928

Post by SeabeeCM2 »

Howdy boys, I too am looking for king pin shims for an early BB I am working on. The axle has "AA" on it, and the pins are 1", so the shims you spoke of would be what I am after. Rock Auto is a little difficult if you have a question, since they won't answer the phone. We are all expected to be parts store professionals who always know what we're after! I don't fall into that category! I'll give them a try though. Thanks for the info!