Hydraulic brakes

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Hydraulic brakes

Post by Chris Haynes »

I saw a guy in Camarillo, CA that had a hot rod '31AA. He was using the stock front axle, '32 cast drums and such but had fit hydraulic brake shoes and cylinders into them. Does anyone have any experience with a set up like this?
Drew Mashburn

Re: Hydraulic brakes

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Knuck:

A number of years ago, an aquaintance of mine decided he wanted to build a 30/31 AA hotrod truck. So, he aquired a 30 or 31 AA stakebed (I don't recall if it was a long or short wheelbase) and a '70's Chevy stakebed truck. Basically, what he did was to cut both truck chassis' in half, right behind the cabs. He took the front portion of the AA and attached it to the rear portion of the Chevy. Then, he dropped a Corvette engine into it. It barely fit under the hood. I don't recall if he used the AA brakes on the front or the Chevy's, but the end result looked pretty much like an AA truck to the uneducated eye. I live in Ojai, California. The guy (John Abrahamian) moved away from the area. I know he sold the truck. A few years later, I saw it in Ojai. The guy driving it told me he knew the truck had been owned by somebody in an eastern seaboard state (not John). I'm not sure where the driver I was speaking with lived. Weird how it went clear back east, but wound up coming back to the local area. I wonder if the Camarillo truck is the same one. The one I'm talking about was painted white. How about the Camarillo truck?

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

The Camarillo truck has the stock AA frame. Small block Ford OHV engine and auto tranny. Originally the AA rear end was used but now replaced with a Dana. The truck owner is pissed off at the guy who did the hydraulic conversion and won't recommend him or tell me his name.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

PS, Is the late Otis Chandlers AA still running around the ranch in Ojai?
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Knuck:

I saw Chandler's AA many years ago at a repair shop on the main drag in Ojai. It was completely unrestored. I haven't seen it since. Did Otis ever have it restored?

Hey, I remember another AA that was hotrodded many years ago. It was a 28/29. It had sort of an "extended cab" look to it. They guy may have used to cabs to extend it. I believe that guy's last name was Horn or Horne. I used to see it primarily running around Oak View, which is right outside of Ojai. I'll bet that was back in the '70's. It seems like it was painted white. I don't recall ever looking at it up close, so I don't have any details about it.

How rare is a 30 or 31 AA roadster cab, short wheelbase, stakebed? I may have a lead on one, but know zilch about them.

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn