GarWood Dump box

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
elfox
Body Type: 88-A
Model Year: 1929

GarWood Dump box

Post by elfox »

There is a GarWood dump box that I am interested in buying locally, but not sure if it will fit on my '29 AA. The seller thinks the GarWood is a model FC4 dump box. Does anyone have any info on this dump box, and does anyone know if it would fit on a '29 AA?

Thanks in advance,

-elfox
Dave
Port Orchard, WA
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Re: GarWood Dump box

Post by Chris Haynes »

Be aware that if it does fit you will need to whack off a big chunk of your frame.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

elfox wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 9:15 pm
There is a GarWood dump box that I am interested in buying locally, but not sure if it will fit on my '29 AA. The seller thinks the GarWood is a model FC4 dump box. Does anyone have any info on this dump box, and does anyone know if it would fit on a '29 AA?

Thanks in advance,-elfox
elfox, I don't see any information for the dump body FC4. Page 102-103 in the "Model A/AA Ford Truck Owner" book shows other Wood models installed on 1928/1929 AA's. These are for Wood Hydraulic Hoist & Body Company (not GarWood)
Regards, Neil Wilson
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

Elfox, I have quite a lot of Wood and GarWood literature. My early stuff lists the company as "Wood Hydraulic Hoist & Body Company--Detroit, Michigan". A February 1934 catalog lists the company as Gar Wood Industries, Inc at 7924 Riopelle Street, Detroit, Michigan. Probably just a name change when they incorporated. In one of the early "Wood" brochures (Bulletin No. 2), it lists the Wood Model F4C for a 3 1/2 to 5 ton chassis for a cost of $375.00. That was just for the hoist assembly cams, power take-off, controls, body guides and hinges making a complete hoist outfit ready to install on truck, including the wood sills. That price did not include the body though. Their Model F1C is listed for a 1 1/2 to 2 ton chassis (appropriate for a AA Ford) at a price of $220.00. In my opinion the F4C would be a way larger and heavier unit than would have been used on a "AA".

My literature shows lots of pictures of different bodies that were available, parts lists with pictures, dimensions, and specifications.

Keith
elfox

Post by elfox »

That exactly what I was looking for. I wasn't sure if the F4C could have been installed on the '29 AA. I am not interested in hacking together a frankentruck, if I do anything to the truck, I will only change it to something that was available at the time.

Thanks again for all the replies.

- Elfox
Dave
Port Orchard, WA
elfox

Post by elfox »

So I was just informed that the box is a Model C4, and not an F4C like I originally thought. Is the Model C4 one that would have been available on a '29 AA? Thanks again,

- elfox
Dave
Port Orchard, WA
hattrick
Body Type: AA

Post by hattrick »

I have uploaded a pic of the box including the tag on the box if that will help.
Attachments
box2.jpg
box2.jpg (400.05 KiB) Viewed 6848 times
box1.jpg
box1.jpg (516.63 KiB) Viewed 6848 times
hattrick

Post by hattrick »

Also box is 7 ft long by 5ft-10" wide.
hattrick

Post by hattrick »

tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

My 1934 Wood brand bodies (built by Gar Wood Industries) brochure does show a model C-4 that was available in 1, 1 1/2, and 2 cubic yards. They all used the same D6 underbody hoist and states that these "standard sizes fit all short wheelbase 1 1/2 ton trucks". If you want copies of the literature on the hoist and bodies leave me know. The brochure also has a "Life Time Guarantee" for their products and workmanship.

Keith
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

elfox wrote:
July 4th, 2020, 10:42 pm
So I was just informed that the box is a Model C4, and not an F4C like I originally thought. Is the Model C4 one that would have been available on a '29 AA? Thanks again,- elfox
elfox, Ford started selling complete dump trucks in 7/30. A 1929 AA would have been sold as a cab and chassis to a dealer-owner. A Wood dump would have been available to complete the AA. Keith's 1934 brochure is likely the closest reference to be found regarding the Wood C-4 body model
Regards, Neil Wilson