Universal Joint and Covers

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
dlevy
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

Universal Joint and Covers

Post by dlevy »

Hi,

I know this was mentioned before on this site, but I cannot find the original post so sorry for the repeat question...

Can someone please confirm the correct sequence for the covers that go over the universal joints / shaft?

The clam-shell cover is behind the cross member and holds the rear differential torque tube to the cross member. Where does the bell cover that bolts to clam-shell cover and cross member go? Should it be behind or in front of the cross member?

I seem to remember that is should go behind the cross member as was the orientation when I took mine apart (last picture below), but the Ford Bulletin diagram shows it in front of the cross member which actually makes more sense to me (first 2 pictures).

Thanks,
Dave
Attachments
AA Coupling Shaft Diagram.jpg
AA Coupling Shaft Diagram.jpg (328.52 KiB) Viewed 3309 times
AA Coupling Shaft Diagram Crop.jpg
AA Coupling Shaft Diagram Crop.jpg (300.62 KiB) Viewed 3309 times
AA Coupling Shaft Covers.jpg
AA Coupling Shaft Covers.jpg (697.4 KiB) Viewed 3309 times
dlevy

Re: Universal Joint and Covers

Post by dlevy »

I should mention that I am using the 2-piece front universal joint as shown in this service bulletin.

So maybe there is a difference in where that rear cover goes when using the 2-piece universal joint vs. the factory original??

Dave
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Dave,
For the stock coupling shaft, the housing rear support (AA-4808-B) is installed behind the #3 frame cross member. Consequently, the rear axle must be moved back to allow removal of the coupling shaft.

For the 1932 Ford replacement coupling shaft, the housing rear support is installed on the front side of the #3 frame cross member. The coupling shaft can be removed without moving the rear axle back.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by dlevy »

Thank you Neil.

Makes sense now.

Dave