Front axle assembly

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake
Model Year: 1931

Front axle assembly

Post by Shorthaul »

Do I have to remove the wishbone and front brake actuating assembly to remove spindle. Is there a assembly drawing available.
Thank for your help.
flatford39
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Re: Front axle assembly

Post by flatford39 »

You do not have to remove the wishbone. That stays intact to the front axle. You need to remove all brake linkages, brake backing plates to expose the spindle. Once exposed you will see that you need to remove the king pin hold down bolts and then the king pins themselves to get the spindle off of the axle. Depending on how old your axle is it takes a lot of brute force to remove the king pins. They come out the top of the axle so you need to apply pressure on the bottom side.
Shorthaul

Post by Shorthaul »

Thanks, the thing that concerns me is, the brake actuating arm is in a housing that is situated between the king pin and the apparatus that goes through and the wishbone how is that brake arm housing removed.
Thanks again for your patience and help
flatford39

Post by flatford39 »

There is really nothing holding it on. One you remove the bolt holding it to the perch it will pretty much fall out of the backing plate.
Shorthaul

Post by Shorthaul »

Mine has a stud coming off of the housing instead of a bolt screwing into it. I'll have to see if the threaded stud will unscrew from the housing. Thank you, I'll check that out.
David R.
Body Type: Chassis
Model Year: 1930

Post by David R. »

Here is a little trick I use. Once you remove the locking bolt if the king pin is a little hesitant to come out: find a socket that’s a little smaller diameter than the king pin. Set it under the pin and set a bottle jack under the socket and jack the king pin out. Usually once it starts moving you can keep oiling and wiggling them out. If not , just keep stacking sockets up till you get it. On really stuck ones if the car starts raising before the pin, put just a little pressure with the jack then whack the I beam from the top a good lick or two with a copper mallet.
flatford39

Post by flatford39 »

Shorthaul wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 4:41 pm
Mine has a stud coming off of the housing instead of a bolt screwing into it. I'll have to see if the threaded stud will unscrew from the housing. Thank you, I'll check that out.
There should be a nut on that stud. If there's not you are halfway there. If you tap on it it will release depending on rust. Another way is just unbolt the four nuts holding the backing plate on and when you remove the backing plate it will just fall apart on its own. I tried to post up a picture but it's not working. you are over thinking this procedure big time. I may have confused you by saying you need to remove the bolt. I am sorry. All you do is remove the nut, which appears is already gone. The stud is an integral part of the actuator and you don't remove it. Put a nut on it and tap it with a hammer and you will see movement. Don't be bashful. Sometimes you need a bigger hammer.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Shorthaul wrote:
August 19th, 2020, 4:41 pm
The threaded stud is part of the actuating arm housing and can not be removed. I have found the sometimes the king pin locking pin must be removed to allow the king pin to rotate to allow clearance for the stud of the actuating arm to be moved out and not mess up the threads of the stud.

Page 1-6 of the Mechanics Handbook is shown below. This setup is the same for the 1928-1929 AA and A chassis. The 1930-1931 is similar but with out the spring perch shock link ball-stud.
Attachments
1-006-c1-q8.jpg
1-006-c1-q8.jpg (251.99 KiB) Viewed 7962 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Chassis

Post by David R. »

Page 1-6 of the Mechanics Handbook is shown below. This setup is the same for the 1928-1929 AA and A chassis. The 1930-1931 is similar but with out the spring perch shock link ball-stud.
[/quote]
I would add the thrust bearings are in different locations on 30-31 AA. Below I beam knuckles instead of above.
Shorthaul

Post by Shorthaul »

Thanks so much for all the replies and help. And the sketch, much needed! I should have mentioned, I have the front assembly removed from frame and am just in the process of removing some of the parts to repair if need and paint before sticking it back on the frame.
Shorthaul

Post by Shorthaul »

In order to remove the brake actuating arm, the grooved pin that holds the spindle in place must be removed so the spindle will rotate. That allows the stud on the arm to swing free of lug on top of the spindle.
First thing is remove pin First when disassembling, replace pin Last when assembling.
Shorthaul

Post by Shorthaul »

Those directions were for a 1931 AA Ford